£600 bike for Audax etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm looking for a cheapish bike to ride audax and light fast touring.

I've looked and tried the Trek 1.2 (60cm) and although it has mudguard eyes it doesn't have the clearance!!! Otherwise it was fine.

Have looked at Giant SCR1.5 , 2 and 3....and 4. OK but the large size is a little small for me and the XL is massive!

Quite like the look of the Ridley Eos, although it is more expensive. Unfortunately size L seems to be sold out everywhere and the 2009 model is a little way off yet. Good clearance for mudguards and 25mm tyres and even has rack eyes.

Any more suggestions? Key points: 59cm or 60cm frame size, good clearance for mudguards and 25/28mm tyres. Rack eyes would be nice. £600 budget. NO slow touring bike though, more audax style.

Cheers

gavintc

Guru
Have a look at the Ribble winter bike. It is a good deal, takes full mudguards and is a reasonable ride.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I would quite like a 'compact' frame with sloping top tube, and my experience with Ribble in the past would stop me buying from them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Don't want to sound fussy but just looked at the Dawes on the web and it looks very 1980s. I'll keep my eyes open for it in the LBS though and have a proper look at it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Giant SCR2.0? It ticks most of your boxes (mudgaurds, rack fixins, clearance for 26mm with guards (I doubt you'd get 28s in) compact geometry and comes in at £545, as I recall.

alicat

Legendary Member
Have you thought of going down the second hand route? A Tifosi should then be well within your budget.

Ribbles are OK , but the tyre clearences are very tight - even with 23mm tyres on. The wheelbase/chainsatys are racing length - again not great for long days in the sadle. Not very good even for light touring where I;d want to fit 25mm tyres at least. They're also aluminium which I wouldn't buy.

I'd have a look a the Jamis Quest - either the straight or sloping top tube ones. Superb 631 frame (I have one).

buy a bike direct are doing them for £699 with 105/Ultegra mix and askium wheelset. Its a bargain.

That said the Dawes Audax is a good buy.

A bit 1980's ? Why ? Just because it isn't compact and hasn't got fat tubes ? Its steel (much better ride than Alu), its got STI's and has good clearences for slightly wider tyres and guards. What more do you want ?

Its a better bike than you think.

631 builds into a much more repsonsive frame than Ti (and I'm a big Ti fan BTW). The only downside is its heavier.

I bought the Quest 2 weeks ago from buyabike - it won't take mudguards. It has mountings for a rack though (?).

Its a lovely bike though and cheaper than any similar specced 631 model around.

Top Bottom