£600 to £700 on New Bike Suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulb55

Über Member
Hi All,

I have up to £700 to spend on a new bike inc accessories so looking around £600 to £650 for actual bike purchase

I was looking at the Trek 7.5 FX 2011 (due to triple chainset) or the Specialized Sirrus Elite but the Sirrus is exactly the same as my Specialized Crosstrail Disc without the suspension forks.

So have any of you wise and wonderful people out there got and suggestions and recommendations plese and oh, it must have a triple chainset

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Hi All,

I have up to £700 to spend on a new bike inc accessories so looking around £600 to £650 for actual bike purchase

I was looking at the Trek 7.5 FX 2011 (due to triple chainset) or the Specialized Sirrus Elite but the Sirrus is exactly the same as my Specialized Crosstrail Disc without the suspension forks.

So have any of you wise and wonderful people out there got and suggestions and recommendations plese and oh, it must have a triple chainset

I have a Scott S50 Speedster triple , in the sales you will get one for the money you have, great bike , love it

Mike!

Guru
I didn't get on with the Trek 7.5fx and found the Sirrus much more comfortabe, if you are ok on the crosstrail why not give the Sirrus a go?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have had a 2010 Crosstrail Sport, a 2010 Sirrus Sport (sadly stolen) and now a 2011 Sirrus Elite - they are very different beasts IMO - the Crosstrail more akin to my MTB - fat tyres, suspension, I didn't have disc brakes and the Sirrus more akin to my road bike (not really a fair comparison but you'll probably get my drift)

If you want a fast hybrid, and have £600, the Sirrus is hard to beat if you really don't want drops :smile:

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
I have had a 2010 Crosstrail Sport, a 2010 Sirrus Sport (sadly stolen) and now a 2011 Sirrus Elite - they are very different beasts IMO - the Crosstrail more akin to my MTB - fat tyres, suspension, I didn't have disc brakes and the Sirrus more akin to my road bike (not really a fair comparison but you'll probably get my drift)

If you want a fast hybrid, and have £600, the Sirrus is hard to beat if you really don't want drops :smile:

Seroiusly looking at the Trek 7.5 FX 2011 hybrid, short reach, very light, carbon forks, same cassette and chainset as my specialized, so looks like i might be going for this

vickster

Legendary Member
Is that the white one with the gold writing...I sat on one, not impressed by the feel but never rode (or was that the 7.6?). Give it a proper test. I had a Trek hybrid a while back, nice light beastie

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
Is that the white one with the gold writing...I sat on one, not impressed by the feel but never rode (or was that the 7.6?). Give it a proper test. I had a Trek hybrid a while back, nice light beastie

No, it may be a black one but i sat on the 2012 model today and liked the geometry of the frame, not a long reach to the handlebars so the frame felt tighter for me with my body overall so lets see

vickster

Legendary Member
Good stuff. The Sirrus does have a long stem, longer reach than the Crosstrail - I had an XL in both and the Sirrus (the nicked one) was too big. How tall are you?

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
Good stuff. The Sirrus does have a long stem, longer reach than the Crosstrail - I had an XL in both and the Sirrus (the nicked one) was too big. How tall are you?

im 5' 8" but i found i need to sit upright on a bike and thats why i can have a road bike, riding position too aggresive for me.

thats why i like hybrids they give ne a more relaxed ride

vickster

Legendary Member
Cool. Bar ends are a good addition if whatever you choose doesn't have them - allows a change of hand position - I swear by ergo grips too :smile:

Top Bottom