£7.2bn on the dockside

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Are they being rented out to be converted into HGV carrying Brexit busters?

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
That's what happens when you try and do things on the cheap - not only does it make for a crap product, but it usually ends up costing more in the long run. Lets hope the French fisherman don't arm themselves with haddock and attack us before they can be repaired.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'll set them up, you knock 'em down!

bagpuss

Guru
They will need more than few other warships for protection ,which the navy is short of in all classes . 20th century thinking in the 21 century . I am not convinced they will be relevant in the future .

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
They will need more than few other warships for protection ,which the navy is short of in all classes . 20th century thinking in the 21 century . I am not convinced they will be relevant in the future .
And they in turn provide a lot of protection for other warships.

Interesting to note that China have built two carriers, have another in build and another 3 planned.
In fact there are 10 carriers being built around the world by China, Russia, Turkey, Italy and the US. Beyond that, another 27 are planned by those countries and South Korea, Singapore, Brazil and India so it seems that the aircraft carrier is to be a central plank of naval doctrine for quite some time yet.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
And they in turn provide a lot of protection for other warships.

Interesting to note that China have built two carriers, have another in build and another 3 planned.
In fact there are 10 carriers being built around the world by China, Russia, Turkey, Italy and the US. Beyond that, another 27 are planned by those countries and South Korea, Singapore, Brazil and India so it seems that the aircraft carrier is to be a central plank of naval doctrine for quite some time yet.
In 20s of the past century every Naval power was busy building battleships. In fact major disarmament conferencies were held over how many tonnes of those should each country have. Major restrictions were placed on the design and number of battleships. A funny category of aircraft carriers made from battleships was popular at that point (ie Saratga and Lexington) - big guns of Jutland were on minds of everyone.
20 years later nobody needed a battleship anymore.

I can't predict if aircraft carriers will be battleships of 21st century, but paradigm shifts often make even tge best and most modern of military equipment obsolete

Here is USS Saratoga in the 40s
Aforementioned 8 inch guns are visible - it is as if somebody did not trust the aircrafts to do its job and wanted a proven piece of technology on board:laugh:
1b44a9ea08da61e2b638ee77d240b935.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom