£7.2bn on the dockside

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The Nimrod was a multi purpose aircraft . Maritime patrol, anti submarine, search and rescue . It could carry cruise missiles as well as homing torpedoes. They will have a job finding a replacement which is just as capable .
The Boeing P-8 Poseidon is a better platform really, although we have only ordered 9 of which 5 are delivered. It will be cheaper to maintain than Nimrod. But i think they should have got Nimrod upgraded and then moved to the P-8 by 2030 giving Nimrod another 20 years of service which would be perhaps something worth the upgrade investment and we would have had no gaps in our capability in this department, instead we relied on the French to fulfill it! A sin!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Nimrod was a shagged-out money pit. There were strong suspicions that the new sensors didn't actually work and were going to take years/billions to sort out. On top of which one fell out of the sky in Afghanistan killing the entire crew due to issues with the in-flight refuelling system, a fault that was discovered across the entire fleet. So taking the decision to end it was probably right and scrapping them made it impossible for the next bunch of politicians to pour more money into it. The P8 was still going through development issues so it was probably wise to wait until they were sorted. I think we're also getting some Wedgetails for AEW.

Joey Shabadoo

"Russian bomber intercept UK" drowns you in noise ^_^ It was a thread on Pprune (like CC but for pilots) where the story was told. From memorythey were Mig 25s but maybe they were actually Mig 31s. Doesn't change the story though that two high speed, high altitude fighters ripped through UK airspace in a show of strength.

JBGooner

Über Member
"Russian bomber intercept UK" drowns you in noise ^_^ It was a thread on Pprune (like CC but for pilots) where the story was told. From memorythey were Mig 25s but maybe they were actually Mig 31s. Doesn't change the story though that two high speed, high altitude fighters ripped through UK airspace in a show of strength.
Presumably pre-Meteor missile days?

It's hardly surprising that "Russian bomber intercept UK" gets lots of hits - they've been appearing in headlines for the last 6 decades. :rolleyes:

In fact it's a tad over 50 years ago that I remember organising a lecture from a serving RAF Lightning pilot (from Leuchars) to my local enthusiast society. He brought some great air-to-air photos of Bears.

But I'm still not buying a UK airspace incursion, whether by a MiG-25 or MiG-31.

Joey Shabadoo

Not from the same incident -

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/air-warfare/norway-uses-f-35-intercept-russian-mig-31-near-its/

Presumably from Murmansk, how many refuellings to get that thing near UK airspace?

Not from the same incident -

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/air-warfare/norway-uses-f-35-intercept-russian-mig-31-near-its/

Presumably from Murmansk, how many refuellings to get that thing near UK airspace?
The quoted article simply says that the MiG was intercepted "near Norwegian airspace", not that it went anywhere near UK airspace (though the Bear clearly did subsequently).

Other sources identify the initial interception as "over the Norwegian Sea", the eastern edge of which isn't that far from Murmansk.

If so, unlikely that AAR was required or involved.

Norway’s new F-35 scrambled for first time to meet Russian anti-sub aircraft | The Independent Barents Observer (thebarentsobserver.com)

Johnno260

Veteran
I would love to see one of the QE aircraft carriers up close, I went to the Intrepid Museum in New York a few years back and that was impressive, then a Nimitz class (I think) was nearby and damn that thing was big.

you could go aboard, and I got in the que but was denied as I didn’t have any USA ID.

Top Bottom