£700 Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonmccullum

Über Member
I am going to buy a new bike for a maximum of £700 and i was wondering what to buy. The bike i have looked at are below

Giant defy 3 for £625
Scott Speedster S20 £699

which is better as both have the sora groupset and seem pretty simular

thanks

Norm

What sort of riding? Where? Distances?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Personally I'd go for the 2009 Defy which are going for just over £500 and spend the balance on a decent pair of wheels/tyres.

The problem advising you is that if you really get into cycling you will realise that these bikes are entry level and if you intend to upgrade within a year or so you are going to drop £200-£300.

I take it that you race or compete seriously from your responses to this question and similar ones in the past AccountantPete? Anything less than 105 is minimum, etc?

Both seem like swift road bikes with reliable, if not cutting edge equipment to me, so I echo Norm with what sort of riding etc.
I cannot see why someone would upgrade one of these within a year, short of very unlikely component failure, or unless they chose the wrong bike in the first place.

Just my two pence.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you know your size what about Ribble - around £620 for 7005 with Veloce, or one of their winter bikes for less?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
2Loose said:
I take it that you race or compete seriously from your responses to this question and similar ones in the past AccountantPete? Anything less than 105 is minimum, etc?

Both seem like swift road bikes with reliable, if not cutting edge equipment to me, so I echo Norm with what sort of riding etc.
I cannot see why someone would upgrade one of these within a year, short of very unlikely component failure, or unless they chose the wrong bike in the first place.

Just my two pence.

No - I just potter around the back lanes of Cheshire. I used to potter on a bike similar to what the OP is going to get and was perfectly happy but then I got a taste of a decent bike and there's no going back I'm afraid.

I'm not knocking these bikes but rather trying to get over the fact that there is an alternative,albeit a more costly one,and that thinking ahead can save a few bob.

Fair enough AccountantPete, my thinking is just that with a Sora equipped bike going for around 600quid (e.g Allez Sport) and with 105 equipped bikes often over a grand nowadays, there must be a financial cut off point for most. (and yes, bargains can come up from time to time, but things seem more expensive than ever at the minute.)

Get a bike with a decent frame and upgrade away as things fail or finances allow in the future, whatever takes your interest. Either way, nothing at that price range is going to be made of cheese.

:smile:

OP
OP
jasonmccullum

jasonmccullum

Über Member
picked up the giant defy 3 this morning.. well happy with it. very quick and smooth and i am actually jappy with the sora gear set up

Top Bottom