£800 budget,give me your thoughts....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cockney

Looking at a hybrid for fast ish rides cant get on with drop bars also may sneak onto the on bit of rough nothing extreme though what do u all reccomend

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Carreras Subway and spend the £500 change on something else.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
ive got a ridgeback velocity which i love to bits! looking around £400 ish quid on it.

my mate has a boardman hybrid that he raves about not sure on the price he paid though (is the one with the yellow C)

vickster

Legendary Member
How rough is the rough? Is speed or comfort the key consideration? If speed, get a fast hybrid - I have a 2011 Specialized Sirrus Elite - carbon forks, Deore rear - I got it for £450. It is on 28mm stock tyres and it is perfectly ok on park trails, more gravelly stuff, but more designed for the road as the tyres don't have a lot of grip

I am not sure spending £800 gets you much more to be honest (was a £550 bike RRP, Specialized have downgraded the spec on the 2012 models, I think this year the Elite has Alivio)

If the rough is really quite rough, get front suspension with lock out, Crosstrail a good option but heavy. Or if going proper off road, look at MTBs - this is quite a bargain (I have just got the female equivalent) http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b7s2p1938

If you want something a bit more inbetweeny, the Whyte hybrids are lovely - disc brakes etc but quite light - the Cambridge is £800-900

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/whyte-cambridge-fast-item178425.html

Comes with SRAM IIRC

Quite an old post, if you've not bought already, happy shopping :smile:

RhythMick

Über Member
Looking at a hybrid for fast ish rides cant get on with drop bars also may sneak onto the on bit of rough nothing extreme though what do u all reccomend
Try the Planet X Kaffenback. They have some sale items right now.

... every day is a winding road...

Picked up a magazine yesterday and the the 3 top Hybrids were

3rd Kona Dew £400 7/10 review
Verdict: A superb commuter bike for the new rider - but try before you buy as correct frame size is vital.

2nd Raleigh Urban 4 £400 8/10 review
Verdict: An upright and well proportioned bike with the welcome versatility of an adjustable stem.

1st place Carrera Gryphon £370 9/10 review
Verdict: A great value, super speedy flat handlebar bybrid with top specifications. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom