恭喜发财 gōng xǐ fā cái

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
The 26th January is the first day of the Chinese New Year and the above writings in the title are the approximate equivalent to us saying a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

It's also the same here in Vietnam (but a different language of course) and so for me this is the first day of the holiday and I don't go back into work again until Monday the 2nd February. One advantage of being an ex pat in this part of the world.

So in plain English may I wish you all a Happy New Year for the Year of the OX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being married to a chinese girl I get to see many new and exciting things fro her side of the family.

I remember when I was first offered moon cake for New Year. I thought it would be like rock cake or somethng. It wasn't. Possibly the most unpleasant thing I have ever tasted.

Enjoy your break Keith!!!!

LLB

The bit I remember is 'lycee dao loy' as a kid - it was like money for nothing and a bit of a culture shock to get it :rolleyes:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
They're such tight bastards in Singapore that we only get two days off for it, the Chinese get about 2 weeks!

Anyway, I'm on medical leave in UK, so am missing out on all the fun!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I'll seccond that, moon cake is horrible. no idea what's in it really. i think they use lotus flowers...

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Actually saying Moon Cake is a bit like saying I want a car, there are many flavours and fillings so if you've only tried one then perhaps it's not to your taste. The first time I tried one was also not so good but now that I know the ones I like I therefore buy those, and having one on return from the commute home, with a cup of tea, is really very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Night Train said:
Kung Hei Fat Choi!!!!!!!!

Moon cake is delicious! But then I say the same about ducks feet, tripe and black pudding.

But what is this moon cake? Savoury, sweet?

I had black pudding last night, in lieu of haggis, as the supermarket had sold out. I have some left over for tonight. Is there a good way to cook it Chinese style?

Anyway, Happy New Year!:smile:

mr Mag00

rising member
Happy New Year for the Year of the OX

ARch could i suggest have it with some fried rice io dont think there is anything you can do to black pudding

Top Bottom