1/8" or 3/32" chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my fixed bike came with a load of spare sprockets. it is currently running a 3/32" chain, but i have more 1/8" sprockets then 3/32". is it worth going to 1/8" next time the chain needs replacing?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have 1/8th chain on my fixeds(except the TT bike) and they are very good. I think ive only worn one out, the oher 2 i changed because a few links twisted when i bent my chainring, and the other one was dirty so i just got a new one for my new fixed.
You can still use the 3/32 sprockets(not heard of 3/37?) with the 1/8 chain.
Just slap a 1/8 chain on and you will be fine.

e-rider

crappy member
I wouldn't bother unless you have muscles like chris hoy. There is more choice of quality 3 32" chains and they are lighter. You would also need to change your chainring (you can run a 3 32" chainring with a 1/8 chain but it's not the best - a bodge I would say!

Joe24

tundragumski said:
I wouldn't bother unless you have muscles like chris hoy. There is more choice of quality 3 32" chains and they are lighter. You would also need to change your chainring (you can run a 3 32" chainring with a 1/8 chain but it's not the best - a bodge I would say!

Rubbish.
Its already been said that 3/32 have the same strength as 1/8, so having muscles like Chris Hoy has nothing to do with it.
I doubt the weight of a 1/8 chain is much more then a 3/32 chain.
You can run a 1/8 chain on a 3/32 sprocket and chainring no problem. Hows it a bodge? Unless you want your whole drivetrain to match.
Do it i say, you have loads of sprockets there so why not?
Dont have a 19t sprocket going spare by any chance?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Joe24 said:
Rubbish.
Its already been said that 3/32 have the same strength as 1/8

it's been said that god created the world and all that lives on it in 6 days. but being said and being true don't always equate:wacko:

Joe24

hubgearfreak said:
it's been said that god created the world and all that lives on it in 6 days. but being said and being true don't always equate:wacko:

Well i said that 1/8 is stronger, but i was given lots of facts about 3/32 chains having 1200 tensile strength, and 1/8th is longer.
So, to not start another boring arguement about it, i put that they were both about the same.
I personaly see 1/8 as stronger.
But apparently 1/8 has less of a tensile strength, and will snap more easily.
The thread is somewhere.

RedBike

To a certain extent the chain strength is irrelavent in so much as you'll never ever snap an undamaged chain.

My understanding is a 1/8" chain is the same as a BMX chain. They cost about £10 and they're available in loads of different colours. A 3/32" chain is the same as an 8 speed chain, they cost about £15 up and they're normally only available in silver/grey.

Could be all wrong with this; but there you go.

Joe24

RedBike said:
To a certain extent the chain strength is irrelavent in so much as you'll never ever snap an undamaged chain.

My understanding is a 1/8" chain is the same as a BMX chain. They cost about £10 and they're available in loads of different colours. A 3/32" chain is the same as an 8 speed chain, they cost about £15 up and they're normally only available in silver/grey.

Could be all wrong with this; but there you go.

You can get 3/32 in different colours aswell, and they are cheap. I think on SJSC there about £9.99 for one, and maybe abit cheaper.
1/8th can be got cheaper for £10. Are in lots of different colours.
I personaly use 1/8, and use a 1/8 chain, chainring, and a 3/32 or a 18 sprocket. I like the 1/8 chainring because its beefy, and doesnt looks well made.

kyuss

Veteran
RedBike said:
A 3/32" chain is the same as an 8 speed chain, they cost about £15 up...

Unless of course it's a proper 3/32 singlespeed chain. They tend to be stronger (and cheaper) than geared chains too because they don't have to be built to handle the sideways flexibility necessary to allow gear changes. BMXers have been using them for years. At £10 the KMC z610hx is a good one, but there's loads of options around.

skwerl

1/8 chain on 3/32 rings/sprockets can be a bit noisier but I imagine it's minimal. I don't see how, like-for-like, 1/8 can be any stronger than 3/32. The extra width won't add strength. It's more likely that a lot of 1/8 chains are built for track riding and are made stronger but you'll get strong 3/32 chains too. The strength comes from how they're made. Izumi track chains, for example, use good quality, bushed pins and are joined with a but and bolt - but then they're 25 quid a pop.

The main advantage of running 1/8 is that you know any combo will work

Top Bottom