10 best folding bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Jack Brass

The Strida and the A-Bike are in the ten best? :blush: I can admire them as pieces of design, but they're only barely functional as bicycles.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Brompton- obviously
Airnimal- ditto
The rest…what a load of rubbish. Apart from the Boardwalk (rebadged Dahon)...No (actual) Dahons, the Birdy.....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, I'd not really call an Airnimal a folder, as such. It's as much a folder as a Moulton or a Ritchey BreakAway. All excellent bikes, but more packable than folding IMHO.
2 electric folders in the top 10?
And as for the A-Bike...words fail me.

A27

And where is the Birdy? Most ingenious folders, Brompton and Birdy and Bike Friday Tikit each deserve to always be on top five of a general folders list.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I could use a Strida for local trips. I've often thought it would be useful to have one at work for the sandwich run. Wouldn't want to do 30 miles on it but I could use a Brompton for that.

I've time-trialled on an Airnimal.

Whether a folder is any good depends so much on what it'll be used for that comparing folders in this way makes little sense.

purplepolly

palinurus said:
Whether a folder is any good depends so much on what it'll be used for that comparing folders in this way makes little sense.

It would have been more useful to have 10 best folders for different uses. Best for really small folding, best for speed... But that may have required a bit of research .

The pseudo dahon is a bit of an odd choice, out of the current models I would have picked the hubgeared vitesse or one of the full size ones.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
so what's a good cheap single speed folder for the lunchtime sandwich run or for the last mile on the mornings when weather makes the train win out over the 13 mile commute?

n+1 and all that

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
A to B used to recommend the compass marine singlespeed folding bike as the best cheap folder (although it's based on an older Dahon design so the folded package isn't that small). About £100. I posted a link to their site here recently- I'll see if I can track it down.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
palinurus said:

I'm sorry but....

"( As with all bikes, we recommend that for prolonged use at sea, exposed metal parts should be sprayed with a moisture inhibitor or wiped with a little light oil)

seriously; it don't need to be small when folded and at that price could be perfect for sandwichs and the hill up from the station

tyred

Legendary Member
Stridas are great fun to ride, for about 300 yards and then the novelty wears off. Interesting design though. If you travelled a lot by train or bus, there is definitely a place for it.

Top Bottom