10 days to go to the off!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gingerbloke

Just 10 days to go, is everything prepared - is it hell, every time I look on a site I see something else that could be useful.

The principle of mine is to do it in 8 days, with the help of my other half. She will be driving between stops in the positively luxurious surroundings of a Motorhome, although will be a godsend for sleeping at night. So whilst I have a plan on where I am riding, the distances could change on a daily basis, depending on weather and how I am feeling.
Getting quite excited now.

simonslejog.blogspot.com

corshamjim

Wow, that will be some going. I wish you good speed and a following wind.

We are toying with the idea of using a motorhome as well so two of us can ride and the other two do support. Will you be hiring one, or do you have one anyway?

OP
OP
Gingerbloke

Gingerbloke

It will be some going - but taking it steady shouldn't pose too many problems. The Motorhome has been hired, although if the trip goes well, maybe time to downsize the house and get one!!!

Norry1

Legendary Member
Nice one - takes all the b&b hassle away. I'll have a look at your blog, see how you do.

Martin

OP
OP
Gingerbloke

Gingerbloke

Well a last minute issue with the Motorhome, like the rental company phone and say it is off the road..!!!! now sorted with a newer, bigger, better one at no extra cost.....!!!

jay clock

Massive member
sounds like a good plan with the motorhome. 8 days is pretty fast. A friend and her boyfriend just did it averaging 96 miles a day (with panniers!) and had not a drop of rain. Hard to believe when the Lake District and Scotland are involved.

Best of luck

OP
OP
Gingerbloke

Gingerbloke

Just over 100 miles a day, without panniers should be a doddle then;-/
The thing that worries me the most is 8 hours+ per day in the saddle - as they say though, No pain no gain.
Just had some news that I have just passed the £3,000 mark in money raised though, so well chuffed with that as it's the charity event I have ever arranged.

Rebel Ian

Good luck and ride safe.

Christkd

Good luck mate, we did a few 8+ hour days and its not too bad! As long as you have a decent pair of shorts and copius amounts of chamois cream (which I'm sure you have) then you'll be fine!!!!

Have fun

Chris

OP
OP
Gingerbloke

Gingerbloke

Massive internet issues while I was away, will be writing up from the paper diary and Garmin over the next few days.

Took me 10 days in the end - 107 miles on the first day through Cornwall was brutal.

Here are some stats.

Count:13 Activities
Distance:884.04 mi
Time:53:27:41 h:m:s
Elevation Gain:41,838 ft
Avg Speed:16.1 mph
Avg HR:116 bpm
Avg Bike Cadence:77 rpm
Calories:27,086 C
Avg Distance:68.00 mi
Median Distance:76.88 mi
Max Distance:107.00 mi