England : Devon 100 km Dartmoor ride from Bovey Tracey, Sunday 3rd September 2017.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will be down in Devon for the first week of September with my sisters and various other family members, hopefully including a very fit Scottish cousin who, like me, fancies doing some decent rides over Dartmoor, and maybe Exmoor and/or Bodmin Moor too.

We have pencilled in Sunday, 3rd September for a metric century ride over Dartmoor. We will be staying near Bovey Tracey so will probably start and finish there.

We wouldn't fancy taking on Dartmoor if the weather turned evil on us, but would go ahead in mildly unpleasant conditions.

I am off to the Lake District soon so I thought that I would get this thread started now because time will be running out once I get back.

More details to follow, but basically - about 100 km, very lumpy, a cafe stop somewhere around mid-ride and a leisurely, chatty pace. Maybe 6-7 hours of riding and 1 hour of stops. Set off at 09:00.

It would be nice to meet some new faces down there. If you fancy joining us, please post below. :hello:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I will be down in Devon for the first week of September with my sisters and various other family members, hopefully including a very fit Scottish cousin who, like me, fancies doing some decent rides over Dartmoor, and maybe Exmoor and/or Bodmin Moor too.

We have pencilled in Sunday, 3rd September for a metric century ride over Dartmoor. We will be staying near Bovey Tracey so will probably start and finish there.

We wouldn't fancy taking on Dartmoor if the weather turned evil on us, but would go ahead in mildly unpleasant conditions.

I am off to the Lake District soon so I thought that I would get this thread started now because time will be running out once I get back.

More details to follow, but basically - about 100 km, very lumpy, a cafe stop somewhere around mid-ride and a leisurely, chatty pace. Maybe 6-7 hours of riding and 1 hour of stops. Set off at 09:00.

It would be nice to meet some new faces down there. If you fancy joining us, please post below. :hello:
If you ate looking for some places tp stop and fule up Princetown is a good place as there is a cafe and pub and is pretty central on the moor! Widecombe is another place with a cafe and an excellent pub about a mile from the centre.
If you are feeling fit you could try the climb out of Dartmeet... I saw the tour of Britain go up there at a tremendous rate, it's long and hard work.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Cheers - I will check those places out when finalising my routes next week.

I will be plodding up the climbs (as usual) but my cousin will probably launch himself up them. He is 20 years younger than me and much fitter.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I love Dartmoor, in all kinds of weather. (Which is a good job as that's what you tend to get) However, I have never taken my bike there, and don't intend to. For me it's a strictly walking boots place.

Enjoy your ride @ColinJ
Road cycling is good, as is the walking. Mtb is rather limited though and much better on exmoor or the quantocks which are close to exmoor.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm still planning to do this ride and am working on the route.

I've read that the holiday site wifi is bad so I think I will buy a few GB worth of data for my phone in September just in case. According to the O2 checker I should get a good phone signal at holiday HQ, though I'm sure that won't apply once I am out and about in steep-sided little valleys. I won't know for sure whether I can access CycleChat until I get there so If you are interested in joining us, express your interest below BEFORE next Friday (Sept 1st) just in case.

Top Bottom