100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iggibizzle

This is also on my radar for next year. I've attempted it once at a good speed (a few 100 milers but normally take it easyish) and managed 5hr 34. And I didn't decide to try get a good time until about halfway through. Felt I could have pushed a bit harder so maybe one day! It's a fair old jump between 18mph and 20though

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
This is one I'd had in my sights for a while, and had rather discounted it, thanks to increasing 50+ness and lack of structured training. But a forgiving route and helpful legs let me sneak in (no Strava to prove it, sorry) at the end of the Summer. The route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10157801 and short post about it: https://unanglaisendiois.wordpress.com/2015/08/30/an-ambition-achieved/ I can't see me wanting to keep on chasing it, but it's still a nice round figure if the conditions line up.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is one I'd had in my sights for a while, and had rather discounted it, thanks to increasing 50+ness and lack of structured training. But a forgiving route and helpful legs let me sneak in (no Strava to prove it, sorry) at the end of the Summer. The route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10157801 and short post about it: https://unanglaisendiois.wordpress.com/2015/08/30/an-ambition-achieved/ I can't see me wanting to keep on chasing it, but it's still a nice round figure if the conditions line up.
Well done, Brian!

I still fancy having a serious go at a 5 hour imperial century. It definitely isn't going to happen this year, but it would be nice to celebrate (?!) turning 60 by riding one next year.

Being realistic, I doubt that I will ever be able to average anywhere close to 20 mph on a long hilly route so I needed to find somewhere flat for my attempt. The two obvious areas within easy reach of here are out Selby way near York, and the Fylde area NE of Blackpool. I did a 100 km ride near Selby once and I criss-crossed mainline rail routes several times, which resulted in lengthy delays at level crossings - pretty hopeless if trying to beat a time! The Fylde looked a much better prospect ...

So I devised a loop which met my requirements - no hills, no traffic lights, almost entirely left turns, traffic not too heavy, road surfaces acceptable. It is 17.15 miles in length so 6 laps of it would be 102.9 miles. I would have to do those 6 laps in 5 hours and 9 minutes to average 20 mph. That is 51.5 minutes per lap.

I just used Street View to check the entire circuit and it meets my requirements. Only 80 metres of ascent per lap, 480 metres in total. In fact there are no climbs whatsoever - the highest point being just over 20 metres above sea level! The 80 metres of 'climbing' is down to minor undulations in the roads, apart from one leg-sapping, lung-bursting massive ascent over a canal bridge! :laugh:

I was feeling pretty good about this future 5 hour century attempt until I realised that it had taken me an hour and 17 minutes to Street View the course - that is 25 minutes longer than I would have to ride each of the 6 laps ... :whistle:

Yikes - this might be harder than I'd thought! :okay:

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Yikes - this might be harder than I'd thought! :okay:
The route and weather is all. I realised that Devon was impossible for me. The French route had the advantage of relative flatness, few junctions, and favourable weather on the day. Plus I had nearly 2000 miles in the legs from 5 weeks of riding.

Or maybe it was the cheese.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The route and weather is all. I realised that Devon was impossible for me. The French route had the advantage of relative flatness, few junctions, and favourable weather on the day. Plus I had nearly 2000 miles in the legs from 5 weeks of riding.

Or maybe it was the cheese.
Oh yes - I forgot to mention the weather ... The Fylde is on the coast and is very flat so strong winds could be a big problem. I would pick a day with a forecast of warm conditions and very little wind.

Travs

Managed it at RideLondon this year - pretty flat, gentle 5mph wind which was cross (and largely sheltered from) for the outgoing half and tailwind for most of the return and a hell of a lot of tows from people so those external factors make a massive change. 4:43 I think in the end.

bobones

Veteran
I managed to do a solo 100 mile loop in just under 5 hours rolling time at the weekend there (20.1 mph av). I only stopped for lights a few times and once for a pee. Nutrition was 2 x 800 ml bottles with High 5 and 3 x SIS gels. I am 55 and not all that strong a cyclist so I think it's possible for many to do this. I only realised I might be able to accomplish this when my 20-30 mile training rides at tempo pace started breaking 20 mph in the last month or so. A couple of weeks ago, I did a similar loop at 18.6 mph where I was slowed down by cycle paths and a few hills, but felt strong at the finish, so I flattened out the route slightly and stayed on the roads for the attempt. I was well ahead of pace for first 60 miles at 22 mph, but the last section is mainly uphill and into a headwind so it ended up being pretty close in the end.
Definitely feels like an accomplishment! https://www.strava.com/activities/3613337119

I imagine it would be easy if I had that endurance, when I say easy, I mean "easy", easier said than done. I'd choose a 50 mile loop in the country, mostly flat, maybe the odd rolling, make sure there is minimal traffic lights, then keep a steady effort of 20-21 on the easy "tailwind" sections, then on headwind keep as close to 20 as possible. Easier said than done like.

Top Bottom