105 V Ultegra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Fudgedog, in a nutshell, no, however the weight and overall quality of the Ultegra will be better, but the performance, i.e. shifting will only be slightly smoother, so you probably won't notice it, but it will be better.

Of course, what is obviously better is the quality of Campagnolo over ShimaNO :blush:

Dives for cover, as another ShimaNO v. Campag debacle is started:laugh::tongue:

OP
OP
F

fudgedog

Dont want to start an argument but why do you think campag is better ? I'm not bothered either way I'm only looking for advice

cadseen

Veteran
all the groupsets are good, 105 is very good. may not last or keep its shine like ultegra, and weighs a little more. depends if its important to you.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Look, for the final time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 105 compared with Ultegra. Those who say they can tell the difference are bull shooting. I have used both and I can say with complete confidence that that I would buy 105 every time. We as mere mortals will not wear it out, it functions every bit as good as Ultegra (and Dura Ace for that matter). Please understand that manufacturers produce tiered kit to pander to the the equipment freaks. If you are chasing golds at the Olympics or are trying to outsprint Cav, then by all means spend your loot (or persuade your sponsors to spend). But if you are a regular cyclist, save you cash for other items.

Dave5N

Über Member
I have bikes with 105 and with Ultegra. (And DA and Sora etc - you get the idea.) There is a difference. I can tell the difference. Come round and ride them if you think that's bullshit.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Comparing 105 to Ultegra is a little bit like comparing Campag Veloce to Centaur. I say a little bit, because there is no real cross comparison as Campag is just so much superior in every way.:biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
The difference in the two may not be very apparent to some but for sure I notice the difference and when I get home and ride the C40 with Dura Ace it is very apparent which is the best. HOWEVER is it worth the extra money depends on each individual and what he can spend and wants to spend. Will you get good service from 105, the answer is yes.

105/Deore is as good as anyone needs. A dirty chain will have far more impact on performance than the difference between Sora and Dura-Ace.

Keith Oates said:
The difference in the two may not be very apparent to some but for sure I notice the difference and when I get home and ride the C40 with Dura Ace it is very apparent which is the best. HOWEVER is it worth the extra money depends on each individual and what he can spend and wants to spend. Will you get good service from 105, the answer is yes.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

Randochap said:
Comparing 105 to Ultegra is a little bit like comparing Campag Veloce to Centaur. I say a little bit, because there is no real cross comparison as Campag is just so much superior in every way.:laugh:

Exactly:biggrin: and I speak from experience I have Veloce/centaur on my winter bike and Centaur/Chorus on my best bike. I have also ridden Sora, Tiagra and 105 equipped bikes, and there is no doubt in my mind.

Top Bottom