11-23 cassette on 50 34 chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ctrallying

hi i am changing my cassette on my compact chainset to an 11-23 from a 12-27 to try and give me bigger gears,my question is would i need to shorten my chain or is it an easy swap.

Will1985

Über Member
What's wrong with a 12-23? That 11 is massive.

1 tooth shouldn't make a difference - I'm swapping between 12 and 13 all the time. At the other end it just means that the derailleur cage won't be pulled as far forward. You could probably take out a link if you wanted.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
jpembroke said:
50/24 with a 12-27 cassette is an ideal set-up. I'd leave it be if I were you.

+1 to that. It is what I run on my road bike and have done for a long time. I've only ever run out of gears once on a very long downhill stretch that even a pal on an S-Works with full race gearing only just bettered my top speed. Save your cash.

jpembroke

LOL.

Yes, I do mean 34. Not sure what my front mech would make of 50/24. It'd either laugh at me or unclip and b*gger off in a huff.

Will1985

Über Member
We don't know where the OP is from - a compact with 12-27 might make sense where there are hills, but 12-23 makes a lot more sense where it is flat.

jpembroke

yello said:
I figured. :laugh: Yes, it'd be a helluva front mech that'd handle that!

It'd be about 6" long and point down at a 45 degree angle.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
apologies for hijacking, but while you are all out there pondering this .... I was thinking of doing the opposite - changing from 11-25 to 12-27 - would I need to lengthen the chain?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- yes - but I'm running Campag, and I can actually get a 12-27 cassette (BBB) Never seen an 11-27!

Top Bottom