11-28 cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lmow20

If it ain't titanium, it's not that cool.
Hi all,

Anyone tried the Sram 11-28 cassette? I wanted the range that it offers (53/39 chainset) since versatility is the order of the day. I have a large hill to climb last thing at night, so I went for the big range cassette. What do you think (I haven't ridden it yet, Lynskey sent the wrong frame...). I have heard one guy complaining about less reliable shifting. It;s the new Rival kit throughout, 10 speed.

Anyways, another chance to voice your opinion

Cheule

Not a comment on the cassette itself but 11-28 could be replaced with 11-34 if you have a long cage rear mech...that will allow you to handle the hills a bit more easily.

Tynan

Veteran
I had a drink during the week with someone that did two climbs up Ventoux this year using a 11-28, on a double

the make I cuoldn't help with, although I suppose there might not have been much shifting in this instance

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thinking of going in the opposite direction at the moment as I am looking at a hybrid with a triple chain ring and 9 speed 11-32 Sram cassette (PG950?) which might be ok on an MTB. but for a predominantly road bike with a granny ring to fall back on I reckon an 11-26 will be more appropriate and give closer ratios.

It would be nice to hear some opinions on the Sram Vs Shimano shifting and are they interchangeable on the same freewheel?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
SRAM seems better than Shimano (just) at the same price point IME. TBH they're both pretty good.
They are completely interchangeable on the freehub - same splines, same spacing.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I would imagine that if you keep the drivetrain clean and well lubricated then shifting won't be too much of a problem.

The only thing with an 11-28 cassette is the large gaps in the gearing - which you may or may not find annoying.

Garz

Squat Member
The only thing with an 11-28 cassette is the large gaps in the gearing - which you may or may not find annoying.

+1

I was however going to get the new sram apex for vfm reasons (with the same cassette) but got offered a cracking deal on my new bike with campag athena instead so I wont be able to guinea-pig the sram for you.

e-rider

crappy member
If you have a 53 outer ring there is really no need for a 11t - unless you ride at 48mph. Why not start at 12t?

Small sprockets never run smooth anyway unless the chainline is dead straight.

Garz

Squat Member
How heavy is the bike? How steep is the hill?

How heavy is the person? Did he eat porridge or fry up for breakfast? Were the tyres pumped up to 120psi?

laugh.gif

Fiona N

Veteran
I had a drink during the week with someone that did two climbs up Ventoux this year using a 11-28, on a double

Pah - I used to race in the Alps with a Swiss-Italian club and the largest sprocket the coach would ever let me have was 23 (with 52-39 front) and I'm a weak girlie :biggrin: Saturday morning training was things like 3 x Gotthard Pass from Airolo (nasty 3km section of 10% on cobbles followed by another 7km averaging 10% on nice tarmac).

He used to say if you don't have these low gears, you make do with what you've got which makes you go faster (or fall over sideways due to lack of forwards progress :blush:)

Sieve

An 11-28 coupled with a COMPACT chainset will get you up a cliff and many people would say it's a more elegant solution than a triple.

I have 11-28 on both of my bikes, and wouldn't ride anything different. One is a triple, the other a double.

The one with the triple is a Shimano Ultegra set up, the double is Sram. I have to say that I was a Shimano man through & through............. until I got the bike with the Sram set up. Its far better system, more positive changing, and an all round better package.

sayek1

I am a relative newbie and started with SRAM which I really like. However, I bought a winter training bike recently which has Shimano and I don't like it. Having your brake lever shift inwards can be a bit worrying if you are trying to brake and change gear at the same time, or even if you are changing gear and not braking you sometimes think "what if". However, a lot of people do rate them and I guess its what you are used to.

My intention is to change the Shimano out in the spring for a full SRAM set with the 11-32 cassette. I find the SRAM to be a more solid, quality experience overall. The 11-32 will make the hills a bit easier - I don't want a third ring to be jumping between, but being a fat bstard I need a bit more help on the hills so the 32 should give me that.

My understanding is that you can do swaps between the two easily - SRAM/Shimano - if you look on Wiggles customer reviews you find the odd person who is mixing them, but I am not sure on that....???

Hope that helps.

dubhghall

+1

I bought a SRAM 11-28 to do the Raid Pyrenean in September and wish I hadn't. There was absolutely no issue with shifting - it was perfect with a short cage but the gaps between 15t and 22t were bigger than my normal 12-25. I found this annoying - just couldn't get a "comfy" cadence, though I am sure much of this was probably psychological. I would recommend a 12-27 instead.

In terms of SRAM and Shimano - the bottom two SRAM sprockets are 28t and 25t; Shimano are 28t and 24t which seems a big step?

Top Bottom