12 hour Endurance tips and Help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rikki1962

Just booked to do the '12 hour Mtb Endurance at Driffield, as a pair, this is our first time would like any infro as training, pre - loading and spares, etc
will have about 5 weeks in total for training would like any tips.

screenman

Legendary Member
How fit are you now, also what experience of racing do you have?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go and look at the Polaris events website, there's lots of advice on there about doing this kind of event.

Having done a few myself the best advice I can give you is to sort out your nutrition; you need plenty of carbohydrate drink for the trail and high carb, high protein recovery drinks for the overnight camp. Complan and Build Up are special drinks sold for convalescents and they are pretty good although nowadays there are all kind of products sold specially for endurance sports. Make sure you have your map sorted out and you know how to use it with a compass and make sure the bikes are in good nick with new brake blocks or pads or carry spares and know how to change them. Plan your day carefully and agree on contingency checkpoints in case of exhaustion or mechanicals. Understand the terrain, the topography and work out the most efficient routes from point to point, bearing in mind the wind direction. Don't make the mistake of using fat knobby tyres, you need skinny (1.6") commuter tyres for speed on and off tarmac. Whatever you do, don't lose hard-earned points by arriving late - set your computer to show elapsed time rather than time ridden and keep it on that screen. Start heading for the overnight camp or the end well before you think you need to; you will be increasingly tired and if it's anything like Polaris the overnight stop will be at the top of a long hill. If you have spare time you can always bag one of the smaller value checkpoints near the camp before reporting in.

OP
OP
R

Rikki1962

Go and look at the Polaris events website, there's lots of advice on there about doing this kind of event.

Having done a few myself the best advice I can give you is to sort out your nutrition; you need plenty of carbohydrate drink for the trail and high carb, high protein recovery drinks for the overnight camp. Complan and Build Up are special drinks sold for convalescents and they are pretty good although nowadays there are all kind of products sold specially for endurance sports. Make sure you have your map sorted out and you know how to use it with a compass and make sure the bikes are in good nick with new brake blocks or pads or carry spares and know how to change them. Plan your day carefully and agree on contingency checkpoints in case of exhaustion or mechanicals. Understand the terrain, the topography and work out the most efficient routes from point to point, bearing in mind the wind direction. Don't make the mistake of using fat knobby tyres, you need skinny (1.6") commuter tyres for speed on and off tarmac. Whatever you do, don't lose hard-earned points by arriving late - set your computer to show elapsed time rather than time ridden and keep it on that screen. Start heading for the overnight camp or the end well before you think you need to; you will be increasingly tired and if it's anything like Polaris the overnight stop will be at the top of a long hill. If you have spare time you can always bag one of the smaller value checkpoints near the camp before reporting in.

cheers me dear, will have a look, its just a circuit of 4.4 miles so would that be just done by Elec/ tags like the ones used in Motorcross. ?

Scott1

I'm guessing yes (re electronic tags and riding through). I have done a couple of motorbike enduros at Driffield; I expect they're using similar loop- if so it will be pretty cut up and rutty if the moto boys have been around!

Good luck

Scott

Top Bottom