12 Months of Commuting by Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Just over 12 months ago I ditched the old Peugeot Carbolie-framed bike that I had picked up free from Freegle, and replaced it with a Specialized Allez 16, brand new. This gave me the impetus to commute by bike every day, rather than just when the weather was with me, a decision I made about a year ago. Has it made a difference?

Well, I've commuted in rain and snow, as well as wind and sunshine. I still bottle it when I open the font door and it is tipping it down, although this happens very rarely. I missed a few days this year due to fresh snow on the ground, but made it in the following day when the cars had cleared a track in the slush. I now have plenty of options for keeping myself dry, although there is always the problem of sweating too much in non-breathable gear. Had a few incidents and some tumbles, but no contact with road traffic. YET!

I'm no lighter, but my legs are harder, better defined, and stronger. I'm a little quicker on my usual route, but brave enough to take the main road at times, which is a LOT quicker. Still to break the 20 mile/h average over a 6 mile commute though, but not by far. Although I do worry that since I am 3 kg odd lighter than a couple of years ago, and riding a bike that is a good few kg lighter, if I'm actually not as fit as I used to be?

I'm enjoying my cycling much more. A group of us meet up on Saturdays every so often to attack the north Worcestershire hills. This is great fun, good for stamina, sociable, and gives me a good yardstick on how I am doing. I sometimes do a long route home on Friday - 40 miles rather than 6, but a good deal more rural. I've also done a Sportive - 50 miles in just over 3 hours, which I'm quite proud of. And was faster than Martin Johnson, England World Cup winning captain. Have I told you about that yet?

I've done a 50 mile ride, several 40-50 mile rides, but not stepped up to the 100km or 100 mile targets yet. The next big yardstick is seeing how many miles my car has done by its MOT, and comparing it with last year.

I've spent lots of money on kit - lights, saddle bag, tools, repairs, tyres, brakes, clothes. Doesn't seem that cheap at times, but a lot of the stuff I have is now for life. Find myself letching after a full carbon road bike, and wondering if I should complement it with something more sensible for a regular commute. But then I'd have no excuse when passed by anyone faster. I've got used to STIs, SPDs and STDs. Hold-on - I think I got the last one wrong....Not STDs - thats not a cycling thing , is it? Something to do with telephones?

I'm a MAMIL. However I'm faster, fitter, more environmentally friendly and have some new friends, which seems a better idea than the traditional ways of handling the approaching big 4-0. So, if you are considering doing the same, I guess that your first question would be "Regrets?"

"NONE!! " I'd respond.
biggrin.gif

jimboalee

So we'll see you at the Beacon Roads CC Audax next year?

PS Where are these North Worcestershire Hills?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Hills? Down in Brummie land? Get real!
biggrin.gif

Get yourself up North, proper hills round here with the Pennines.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Tempted. Especially the one in Feb. However most Sportives and Audaxes seem to take place on Sunday mornings and I don't want to give up too many of those.

Worcestershire Hills? You mean that you don't regard Romsley up the Bromsgrove Road, Winwood Heath Road, Farley Lane, St Kenelm's Pass, Hagley Wood Road, Weatheroak Hill and Rose Hill as hills?

An interesting read, I going to post my stats for the whole year in January, I have made a complete log of money spent, saved, miles made etc
should be interesting to ready....

Roadrunner78

Great story. How did the allez frame hold up through the winters? I ran my kona explosif through several winters before my dad got it, and before that a 96 rockhopper. It wasn't too good to the chromoly frames. I am keen on an allez.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Wish i had made a note of money spent/saved on my habit when i started commuting properly again.Having the right gear for bad weather makes a big difference in whether you ride or not and that has been a big extra cost on top of the bike purchases ( 3 in 3 years....hence the habit tag ! ) I have got rid of of two cars and kept just one between me and Mrs Skud which we will keep due to our little herd of four girls and all the clutter they carry.
The saving's i must have made are not just ££££'s but time aswell,oh what joy even when it's hissing down to pass a monster grid-lock and see all those poor trapped people wishing the car in front would move just one inch !
Great read,thanks for sharing

pshore

I've got used to STIs, SPDs and STDs. Hold-on - I think I got the last one wrong....Not STDs - thats not a cycling thing , is it?

After all that, I bet you go like the CLAP-ers. boom boom.

(so many bad jokes to choose from :-)

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Great story. How did the allez frame hold up through the winters? I ran my kona explosif through several winters before my dad got it, and before that a 96 rockhopper. It wasn't too good to the chromoly frames. I am keen on an allez.

Wish I had learned about protecting the bolt heads with oil/Vaseline, but other than that, OK.

Downward

Guru
I can't believe you and McWobble have only been doing this bike stuff for a year. Saying that have been commuting 2 years but it was only in February where actually went out for more than 10 miles.

Suppose in 8 months a fair bit of progress has been made. Hopefully this time next year etc !!

400bhp

Guru
I'm on the year mark as well.

I used to cycle some years ago and am hooked again.

Now regularly do 50-100 miles at a weekend plus 3 days a week commute.

Did a coast to coast ride last month, 130 miles.

Fallen off 3 times, twice in one day.

Bike 1 cost me £7.

Bike 2 will probably cost me £200

Spent approx £150 on clothes, about 1/2 of that from Aldi.

Saved about £500 on train fares and/or parking/petrol.

Lost 1/2 stone - now 12.5.

Don't need to go to the gym anymore - saved me £400

Just bought a Garmin - the most expensive item I've bought for the bike.

:biggrin:

mgarl10024

Über Member
Well done for commuting for the year, and an excellently written account.
I too wish that I'd kept a log of money spent on cycling, but then half of me is glad that I haven't. :tongue:

Wobblers

Euthermic
So we'll see you at the Beacon Roads CC Audax next year?

PS Where are these North Worcestershire Hills?

Ah, so you did the Cotswold Audax back in June then? What distance did you do - I may have bumped into you if you were doing the 160km...

See you at the next one (and I'll be accepting no excuses from either of you two, Downward or BrumJim)! ;)

Wobblers

Euthermic
I can't believe you and McWobble have only been doing this bike stuff for a year. Saying that have been commuting 2 years but it was only in February where actually went out for more than 10 miles.

Suppose in 8 months a fair bit of progress has been made. Hopefully this time next year etc !!

Well, the simple answer is that I've been cycling for much longer than just a year! I started to more systematically improve my fitness back in summer 2007, barring interruptions from moving jobs (and country!), injury and crashes. My commute's only 7 miles round trip but is just about sufficient to maintain fitness if you push hard on the way back home (it helps that it's all uphill!). Your commute's long enough that you should see improvements if go at a hard but steady pace.

P.S. Nice to bump into you this morning, even if we didn't get a chance to exchange more than a few words in between the traffic!

Top Bottom