18mph in cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Having an argument in work with a nobber who says i should always ride my bike in a cycle lane if there is one provided. I told him that riding above 18mph puts other road users at risk and i , as a road user can use the road .

can anybody point me to a link to the Dept for transport etc showing the 18mph guidline so i can print it roll it up and shove it up their donkey

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Here you go, archived now:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....e/2004/ltnwc/annexdcodeofconductnoticefor1688

There is also rule 61 in the highway code saying:
Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Origamist

Legendary Member
It is worth pointing out (before your colleague does) that the guidance is part of a consultation document.

He's totally wrong. If a cyclepath is there you may use it if you want to but if you are in excess of 18mph you should be on the road.
Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.
, Archived DfT quote.
For on road cycle lanes there isn't a guideline on speed but again you only have to use if you want to and often it isn't in your best interest to do so, ie at junctions they guide you to the point where most potential conflicts can take place. There are countless other reasons too.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
he is now arguing that it is only for segregeted paths not on road paths !!

anybody got anything current?? for On road cycle lanes. a collective google should help . I have been going for a bit now.

It all stems from me telling him about being told off by a Latvian ( Latvian Plates) for riding primary along Alexandra road avoiding the door zone.

latvians passenger got out further down the road and swung a punch at me ( missed) gonna keep the Dlock handier now ;)

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
he is now arguing that it is only for segregeted paths not on road paths !!
Well, to be fair, that particular advice in the consultation document relates specifically to shared use facilities (pedestrians and cycles). Although, I think 18mph is probably too fast for shared use facilities if there is any chance of pedestrians being about.

You might show him Highway Code rule 63, particularly the bit that says: "Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills".

Get hold of the government guidelines on actual cycling, 'cyclecraft' it full of plenty of quotes why it isn't always in your best interest to use them, some of the quotes have also been acknowledged in the governments standards on cycle facilities LTN2/08 (its online).

There are other quotes but:

7.1 Introduction
7.1.1 Cycle lanes can benefit cyclists, but poorly designed lanes can make conditions worse for them. There is no legal obligation for cyclists to use cycle lanes (or any other type of cycle infrastructure provision).

7.1.4 Cycle lanes are not always suitable and may encourage cyclists to adopt inappropriate positioning if the lanes are poorly designed. Designers need to decide whether a cycle lane is going to help or not. If so, its alignment should ideally reflect guidance and training on safe techniques (Franklin, 2007) for manoeuvres undertaken by cyclists.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just show him videos of the door zone.
In raility you can't argue against someone who doesn't want to a. listen b. understand.

Broadside

Guru
I agree with Gaz on this, so I would tell him that aside from being wrong you are going to ignore his comments because he can't give you a persuasive argument.

Top Bottom