19 stone on 700x32s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shanks

Just getting back into cycling after many years break. Have bought a bike with the above size tyres on them and they are marked as having a max of 110 psi in them.

Having read few threads on here it would seem that given my current weight I should start by upping them to say 120 in the back and 110 in the front and see how it goes, maybe letting some out if the ride is too harsh. Is this right? Are the indicated maximum's only a guide and always have a margin of error based on the cautious side? Not sure if brands come into this but they are Bontrager if that make a difference.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Crankarm

Guru
Both the rim and tyre have a max tyre pressure you shouldn't exceed. This surprisingly will be on the side of the tyre and on a sticker on the rim. If you exceed it the tyre may explode or the rim may split.

As for your weight of 19st, you are indeed a fat b4stard on a bike. How tall are you? Providing the wheels are true and have been built properly you should be fine but take it easy over uneven surfaces and I wouldn't try sprinting full power on them until you have lost a few stone otherwise you might break a few spokes :biggrin:. If in doubt that they will hold your weight then go for a 36 hole or even 40 hole rear wheel until you lose a few stones xx(. But why not use the wheels as are and deal with any probs when they arise. The rear wheel is the one more likely to fail.

OP
OP
Shanks

Shanks

Crankarm said:
you are indeed a fat b4stard on a bike.

Thank you Crankarm for your candid response xx(. I'm 6'2" and aware of the disproportionate sizing between my gut and the tyres I have chosen. It is this difference that has led me taking cycling up again after so long.

In fairness, the tyres were the ones already fitted and I didn't chose them. I'm happy to leave then as they are and see if that's my best option, I was just wondering if there was a preferred setup which might differ from this.

Cheers

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi My bike has 700 32 tyres when I started riding it 5 months ago I was just over 16 stone which at 5ft 9 put me well in the fat barstewards club :-) .If you avoid banging into curbs etc I dont think you will have any problems.

You dont want to over inflate the tyres ,pump back one to max recommended and front one to 10 psi less.

PS the good bit is that I am now under 14 stone :-) Good Luck

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
I was 20 stone a while back, and I ride on 32 spoke wheels with 700x25 tyres at 120 psi.

I've never had a broken spoke, but I did have to tighten them after about 10 months use. They've been fine ever since.

The roads around me aren't exactly smooth either. Keep your tyres pumped up to avoid pinch flats and I think you'll be fine, unless your wheels are crap. Mine weren't exactly expensive (coming on a £300 road bike).

I'd go with the max pressure on the tyres unless you start getting pinch flats, then try it a bit higher.

OP
OP
Shanks

Shanks

Thanks the Jogger, I'll stick with your philosophy and I don't think I'll go far wrong. I've been called a lot worse in my time xx(

Thanks for confiming the psi Banjo, I'll do that and see how it goes, trust me with these figures I'm already on the lookout for any potholes! My first days ride taught me to avoid those if posible. Not sure I need to get to 14 stone but the good side of 16 would be great for me.

Cheers

rog 1974

good luck shanks, it worked for me i had a break of about 4 years off the bike weight crept up to just under 17 st ( 6ft 7in ) about 3 months of riding now on 700 32s, back down to around 14st 10

OP
OP
Shanks

Shanks

Thanks for the comments, It's been nearer 20 years since I was last on a bike so I'm aware that there are going to be a few 'bumps' on my road to progress. But it's a new bike of a reasonable brand so I don't think quality will be an issue.

I'll hit the pump then peddle on and see if I can walk when I get back ;)

Always good to hear that others have been there before me so It's not impossible.

Cheers

Top Bottom