1st 50 Miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rovers1875

Veteran
Hi folks,

I'm planning my first 50 this Sunday, (Accrington to Morecambe actually 46 miles) so I've put in a slight detour to make it a 50 (no point riding that far without making a milestone distance) I've done several 25 - 30 milers, so this is quite a big step up. I'm hopng to do it in around 3.5 hrs (am I being optimistic) Most of my rides are around 10 to 15 miles and I seem to average aound 16mph on lets say undulating roads (except Pendle Hill thats a ba$&**d). Looking on the route planner it seems to be reasonably flat once I get over Pendle with no major inclines, so I'm hoping to maintain a reasonable average speed. Is this realistic or should I expect fatigue to kick in. What I suppose I'm askingis, is the step up from 25miles to 50 miles so a big step or am I just getting myself worked up over nothing.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'd say its a reasonably big step (but doable!) - you'll enjoy it more if you pace yourself a bit and take it easy on the first half. You can get your time for 50 miles down to 3.5 hours on subsequent rides!

adam23

Hi folks,

I'm planning my first 50 this Sunday, (Accrington to Morecambe actually 46 miles) so I've put in a slight detour to make it a 50 (no point riding that far without making a milestone distance) I've done several 25 - 30 milers, so this is quite a big step up. I'm hopng to do it in around 3.5 hrs (am I being optimistic) Most of my rides are around 10 to 15 miles and I seem to average aound 16mph on lets say undulating roads (except Pendle Hill thats a ba$&**d). Looking on the route planner it seems to be reasonably flat once I get over Pendle with no major inclines, so I'm hoping to maintain a reasonable average speed. Is this realistic or should I expect fatigue to kick in. What I suppose I'm askingis, is the step up from 25miles to 50 miles so a big step or am I just getting myself worked up over nothing.

go out and do it mate i bet you do it in 3hrs tops easy, once you get into the distance you will push your self.
good luck and let us know

jimboalee

Cyclingpower.jpg

Here's the chart again.

You are doing 14ish miles in 52ish minutes as a regular ride. 16 mph on a decent bike is about 130 Watts.

Plot this on the chart.

Draw a line down IN RATIO with Whitt's UK Amateur tourists.

If you want to complete 50 miles in 210 minutes, draw the cross-hair lines to get the resultant Wattage for that time duration. Its about 80 Watts.

On the same bike, an average 80 Watts is 13 mph, 3.5 x 13 = 45.5. You will need to 'up your game' to get 50 miles done in 3.5 hours.

You are aiming for 14.25 mph, and this is 100 Watts. It's 25% greater than your present ability.

Sorry Admin, you could move this thread to 'Fitness & Training', or even 'Road rides, Audax & Sportives'.

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

I'm hoping for something similar in the not too distant future - i'd be interested to know how long you've been doing regular 10 - 15 mile rides for and if you plan to take any carb bars or similar to help you along?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Good luck!!!! I think you'll be fine and I don't think you'll notice the step from 30 to 50 that much. 3.5 hours is achievable but as others have said pace yourself. I would try to keep the average up around 15-15.5 for the first 20 or so in case you tire badly at some stage later.

And eat!!! oh and drink (I often forget that bit myself)

With a ride like this, I use the first hour/10 miles or so to loosen up.
I'll hit the cadence I want to keep ( around 90 rpm) for the ride and try to stay in it.
This means dropping gears on hills so you don't strain to get up them.

I find this has two advantages for me.
1:- As I start the ride spinning, then I spin better for the whole ride.
2:- It stops me setting off like a bat out of hell. So I may be a little slower over the first hour but I'm faster over the whole ride as I keep a more sensible pace.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

OP
OP
rovers1875

rovers1875

Veteran
Good luck with it :thumbsup:

I'm hoping for something similar in the not too distant future - i'd be interested to know how long you've been doing regular 10 - 15 mile rides for and if you plan to take any carb bars or similar to help you along?

I bought my first bike im March this year, for the first few weeks doing three to five nearly killed me. But after a month or two I was comfortably doing 10 milers several times a week. In July I bought a racer (1st bike is a hybrid) and my times and distances have really improved, and during Aug / Sept I did several 25 /30 milers, with the only problem being a numb bum. I have never bother with anything like carb bars, I only tend to have a bottle of water. Anyway the weather looks set to be fine this weekend so hopfully I should get a good ride.
Thanks to everyone for your advice/encouragement I'll let you know how I get on.

jimboalee

With a ride like this, I use the first hour/10 miles or so to loosen up.
I'll hit the cadence I want to keep ( around 90 rpm) for the ride and try to stay in it.
This means dropping gears on hills so you don't strain to get up them.

I find this has two advantages for me.
1:- As I start the ride spinning, then I spin better for the whole ride.
2:- It stops me setting off like a bat out of hell. So I may be a little slower over the first hour but I'm faster over the whole ride as I keep a more sensible pace.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

There is an old saying "The first ten miles are the worst".

OP
OP
rovers1875

rovers1875

Veteran
Cyclingpower.jpg

Here's the chart again.

You are doing 14ish miles in 52ish minutes as a regular ride. 16 mph on a decent bike is about 130 Watts.

Plot this on the chart.

Draw a line down IN RATIO with Whitt's UK Amateur tourists.

If you want to complete 50 miles in 210 minutes, draw the cross-hair lines to get the resultant Wattage for that time duration. Its about 80 Watts.

On the same bike, an average 80 Watts is 13 mph, 3.5 x 13 = 45.5. You will need to 'up your game' to get 50 miles done in 3.5 hours.

You are aiming for 14.25 mph, and this is 100 Watts. It's 25% greater than your present ability.

Sorry Admin, you could move this thread to 'Fitness & Training', or even 'Road rides, Audax & Sportives'.

Thanks for this??? It's as clear as mud, but I get the impression I'm going to have to work hard to do it in 3.5 hrs (with I bit of luck there will be a tial wind!

adam23

i dont think you will have to work as hard as you think, be prepaired mentally that will help loads.
dont go at it with the mind set "right here goes nothng" or start watching times etc it will come better in a rythum, my first long ride was a 46 mile ride
out with hills here and there and done 2hrs 12 mins that was a good pace and found the worst bit hit me at about 30miles in and i was hurting but keep
going and it will pass.

good luck

jimboalee

A word of warning concerning riding deliberately fast to set some kind of record. The adrenaline comes in.

You will have a lousey night's sleep, if at all. You will wake in the morning still tired. You will be tired and drowsey for the whole of the next day and when the adrenaline effect wears off, you will fall asleep even in a night club.

Top Bottom