1st race prep, info, and help required.. Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanPrice

Hi,

Hope this post is in the right section, if it isnt i apologise.

As the title says really, i want to take part in my 1st race sometime in the near future hopefully, not an absolute killer though.

Ive been told a sportive would be a good starter?

And from what ive read, been told etc, are a quite laid back race with a set distance and time which you have to do it in. Please correct me if im wrong? ;)

Can anyone recommend any?

Also what is the best way to train, just loads of base miles?
If so how many miles should i be trying to get in, in a week?
How many rides should i divide that by, 3/4 or more?

Also is there anyone in Bristol on here thats part of a club that would happily welcome newcomers to train with? (as riding alone all the time gets a little boring, as im sure your all aware)

Any help or other advice would be great?

I look forward to hearing from any of you,

Thanks

A sportive isn't a race.

It's a challenge ride where you set-off individually or in small groups and follow a route marked-out by the organiser with an arrow at the junctions, with foodstops for energy drink and flapjacks/bananas. They're usually somewhere hilly to make them challenging and times are published so you can see how long you took compared to the others. But there are no prizes, no 'winner'. They're on the public road and you're expected to follow the Highway Code, give way at junctions, stop at red traffic lights, etc.

Is that what you want to do ?
You can enter these easily, just pay your £20-30 and turn-up, open to everyone.

A real race involves a mass start and you going round with the other riders, racing directly against each other, first one over the finishline is the winner. Sometimes these are on the road, with car/motorbike outriders, and sometimes on disused airfields or motor racing circuits.
To do these you need to join a club and get a racing licence from British Cycling.

Joining a local club and getting more info there would be the best bet if that's what you want to do.

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

Thanks andy wrx.

I think at 1st sportives would be a good route to take, until i think im ready. Ive been on cyclosport.org and they seem really quite fun tbh. So im going to give a couple of them a go 1st and see what i think.

Anyone have any ideas as to which are good ones that are coming up, in the future? (preferably around the southwest/midlands?

Does anyone have any tips on how to start training, as in my 1st post above?

And also anyone know of a good club to join and ride with around Bristol?

Thanks, and again thanks andy wrx

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
you'll get a good idea of what you need to do if you actually do a race. It gives you a good idea of the level of pain associated.

If you've got a mountain bike, try a cyclocross race. there'll be one near you this weekend.

join a club.

RedBike

As above sportives are not races. The majoirty of the riders will just be taking it easy. They will give you a rough idea as to how your fitness /speed compares to other riders. But they'll give you a very distorted idea of what a race is really like.

trio25

Über Member
Riders take it easy at sportives?
My impression was that people were trying to get their best possible time!
Road racing is very different though as you will be riding in a group, at sportives you could ride the whole loop on your own!
As dan_bo says cyclecross is a great way to try racing and everyone is really friendly!

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

Thanks for all the replys, much appreciated.

I already have a road bike, so thats not a problem. Cyclocross ive tried as part of a schools program the BMX GB team were doing. Found it really boring TBH.

I know road races are totally different to sportives, just wanted some help on totally understanding the ins and outs of a sportive and which one would be best to enter, (preferably close-ish to the Bristol area)

The reason for thinking a sportive would be the best place to start is i am making a transition from BMX racing (an all out sprint), to an endurance sport. So would like to get to know the pace etc (i know it will be generally be alot slower that a road race, but will give me an insight)

Anyway i understand what a sportive is now. And thanks everyone for the replys, much appreciated.

Although if anyone knows of any that would be good entering, in maybe the new year or a little sooner in the SW/Midlands area that would be great.

And any road clubs in Bristol that would be a great help?

Thanks

RedBike

There's absolutely no need to pace you're self with a road race. Espeshially with cat 3/4 races. You just need to stay in the top 1/3 of the peleton.

You'll find that most races amble along at a relatively steady pace with nobody really wanting to be on the front of the group. Then all of sudden one of the stronger riders / teams will make a break for it. The inexperianced peleton will surge forward to try and catch them. If you loose the pelton at a time like this then your race is over. There's no way your ever going to catch back up.

walker

Sportives are totally different to actually racing, as others have said, your best bet is to get into a 30 mile (or so) Crit to test the waters, they only last around an hour so its not going to kill you.

If you've raced BMX then your sprinting is going to be pretty good so your going to need to train your climbing and overall endurance. Get out and do some interval training on some hilly roads, this will give you some insight as to how these races go as some of them can jump on climbs, or in some instances on the decents when the back of the pack don't know whats going on.

jimboalee

Sportives. Like an Audax but with no max speed limit. Medal catagories Gold, Silver and Bronze with their allotted cut-off times. Too slow and you don't get a medal. Waymarked route with feeding stations. Every rider timed independently.

Similar to races in so far as if you need a No.2, you have to grin and bear it to the finish. This means you have to train your intestines as well as your voluntary muscles. :angry:

Great fun if you're in a group of mates, not so much fun if you get left behind on the hill, so get climbing. ;)

Can be treated as races - some take them V seriously. Need nutrition planning and hydration at twice the rate of an Audax. :sad:

Top Bottom