1st ride with clipless and on slicks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
Well I treated myself to a Raleigh Glide, Halfords special in May and caught the bug!

OK well I know that my next bike will be a road one but in the meantime a couple of upgrades to make life easier, I've added a pair of slick tyres and gone clipless.

Only had a chance to get out for a 7 mile test run, and decided to stick to the cycle track while I get used to the pedals, but what a difference and on the steep trip up to home it was still a slog but I completed it in a a higher gear than usual!

My only regret is doing both at once as I'm not sure which will have been the most useful.

Oh and apart from having to tighten up the bolts not problems with the disengaging the cleats!

TVC

Nice one - not long now until your first clipless moment!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Don't forget to play around with the cleat position -if you can- for the magic spot which is both comfortable and affords good power transfer.

Mothyman

accountantpete said:
Don't forget to play around with the cleat position -if you can- for the magic spot which is both comfortable and affords good power transfer.

i start my search for the infamous 'C' spot tomorrow - new bike and first time on cleats....got the plasters ready

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you do have a clipless moment, try not to dive on top of the handle bars, from todays experience I can definitively say it hurts... other than that have fun! ;)

The tyres will have made the greatest difference to performance...

This C-Spot thing, I understand that theres an optimum position for comfort, - what factors affect the optimum position for power transfer?

Cubist

Still wavin'
SimonRoberts0204 said:
This C-Spot thing, I understand that theres an optimum position for comfort, - what factors affect the optimum position for power transfer?

Getting the cleats under the part of your foot which allows you to transfer the most power. It can be matter of personal choice, but in general terms the ball of your foot is the best place, especially if you are using a softer soled shoe. Put the shoes on, and use a pencil to mark the edge of the sole in line with your "bunion" joint. Use this as the start point for the centre line of the cleat screws. Take your allen key with you and go out and ride. If it feels wrong, then you will be able to stop and make the necessary fine adjustments until you hit the sweet spot. Trial and error I'm afraid, but take your time and it'll pay off.

Once you have found the right place, degrease and threadlock the cleat screws.

Randochap

Senior hunter
There is a growing consensus that a further forward position affords more power transfer. That is, cleats further back on the shoe.

Don't make any sudden, gross adjustments in position though.

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
Well I had my 1st clipless moment.:evil:

Cycling into town I cycle past my neighbours car parked door wide open, I happen to know that they are all in the garden.

Think, I must stop and tell them, so I did but distracted I didn't disengage. Oops, mildly bruised palms - big deal!:welcome::ohmy:

Good news, the car door was open as one of their kids must have left it so about an hour before and nothing had been nicked.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i've been riding clipless for about 4 or 5 years, and have only had the c moment 3 times, twice in the past 6 months though. both times not my fault at all :smile:

a little thing i do is always un clip one foot way before i stop, I have manged to teach my self to pedal with one foot, and can easily out accelearate a few commuters of the line with one foot.

Tynan

Veteran
2 years and no falls, had some very close calls though but I still have them on what I suspect is loose, if I yank the foot in panic, out it comes, works for me

Top Bottom