2 cables - 1 caliper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

Hi all. is it possible to connect the redundant left brake lever to the front caliper as well as having the right caliper attached?

I ask as i am getting used to riding fixed now, 2 weeks. and i would like to make that left lever a little more useful than it already is. also it means i could brake and signal at the same time when turning right... which is somethig I do every night, at the bottom of a steep hill, on a blind bend...

any ideas? any point in doing it? any alternative?

Zoiders

No point, it can be done and has been done but I wouldnt bother

Plus you shouldnt be trying to break and signal at the same time, break, then signal old chap.

rustychisel

there was a bloke on FGG who had a very nice titanium setup a couple of years ago - cannot recall any details or nuffink - who bodged a double cable routing to his front brake and posted quite some notes on how best to do it. IIRC he used an old brass rifle cartridge as the carrier for his two cable runs. It looked very elegant. Sorry I can't be more help.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
BMX bikes use something very similar. Just had a look on the Winstanleys shopsite. Quite a few cable joining things on there. Not sure you can buy anything specific for this, so it may be a bit of a bodge type affair.

Thedude

Use your legs to brake, or at least slow down! Running two cables to one brake is a bit iffy.

BTW: I think you live near me, I live off Belmont. I used to have a gold Lotus fixed which is now being resprayed but I see you powering along hawthorn when I walk to work! Also have you been on www.londonfgss.com/ There is another guy on there from Ipswich who has a Bianchi Pista.

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

I'm getting used to just using one brake now... i'll just upgrade it to a decent caliper instead. at the moment it's the original weinmanns bendy tinfoil one...

Gold lotus fixed... in ipswich? only fixed I know of in ipswich is a guy that works in HMV with fantastic hair... if that's you, then hi... my wife knows your missus.

I live in Sycamore close, also just off belmont.

Where are you getting your bike sprayed? Mine needs a new paintjob soon.

Thedude

Thats me! Im getting/got mine sprayed at Suffolk resprays which is at Ransomes Europark. They only charged me £30 for the frame/forks and sprayed all the parts (stem, chainset, handlebars) for free! Im not sure how long it will last as it was not powder-coated but for the price i'm not complaining

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

I used to see you on your fixie coming into/out of town, before I built mine, when I had my hybrid... I could never keep up with you though...

Let me know how the spray goes... I found a place near caple that will sandblast & powdercoat for £40... so I'm probably going to use them... just can't decide what colour!

Need to get some proper parts on the bike first though. At the moment it's a cobbled together bike made of the standard parts on a scrap 80's racer and my wrecked hybrid's front wheel. the only purpose built part is the rear wheel...

Just a crankset & new brake caliper to go though...

Thedude

Getting the parts can be expensive. Try SJS cycles for cheapish parts and Brick lane bikes if your feeling a bit more flush!

I got knocked off my bike in November, dislocating my knee for the third time so my days of speed are over!

I have a rear black brake caliper you can have. The bolt is kinda short (as its a rear one) but with a reaching nut and maybe some drilling it may fit.

Top Bottom