200 metres from school not a problem take the car.

Phaeton

Guru
Not defending them in anyway, but I wonder if that's the whole story, maybe they drop the child off on their way to work, personally I think I would have still walked, walked back & then gone in the car

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've raised this issue with my daughter's school although I doubt many parents will be bothered to change their habits. If they're driving onwards to work then that's understandable but the number who do a round trip of under a mile is mind-boggling.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Mate it specifically illegal, disabled children/parents excepted. That's the only way it'll stop. Even then, at best Mrs D walks with a stick and still refuses to drive the school run.

I live in a small village and most of the parents drive there and back. It genuinely is quicker for me to walk than for them to drive. I often leave at the same time and arrive to find them still struggling to park. Crass, inexcusable, utterly illogical laziness, and they're passing this ethos onto a new generation of children with a lifetime of being overweight, poor health, and premature death to look forward to. I chat to parents in the playground, and I'm not sure whether to be pleased or shocked that I'm 2 decades older than most of them but look younger. A fair few look so flabby, pasty, and with an ever present sheen of perspiration from walking 50 metres from the car that I'm pretty sure they won't make it to my age.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Laziness, . Possibly not the whole story why they parked there, but, I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt.
There is also a PC. or PCSO standing on the pavement, surely she should of have moved the vehicle on before the owner unloaded the little darlings in the middle of the road. Doors open into the middle of the road, people wandering across the road infront of vehicles. So many wrong things in the photo.

lane

Über Member
Possible explanations for driving not parking illegally. Where I work a lot of parents drop their kids off on the way to work as early as 7.30 for the before school club. Now say you have to start work at 8 or 8.30 might be very tight to get to work so no point walking to school and then back home and then drive to work. I know many on here won't agree but in the real world where you have to juggle earning a living and bringing up kids these things are sometimes necessary. I used to have to do this sometimes drop kids off at 7.30 and supposed to be at work for 8am 14 miles away.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
The only slight surprise for me in this was seeing a Toyota and not a w@nkpanzer.

Having said that: should a Police Force really be outing people like that on Twitter? Fair enough, put the picture up and say "please don't do this", but don't then follow up with "they live less than 200 yards away"... They might as well have followed that up with "go on, run a key down the side of the car while you're passing".

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Possible explanations for driving not parking illegally. Where I work a lot of parents drop their kids off on the way to work as early as 7.30 for the before school club. Now say you have to start work at 8 or 8.30 might be very tight to get to work so no point walking to school and then back home and then drive to work. I know many on here won't agree but in the real world where you have to juggle earning a living and bringing up kids these things are sometimes necessary. I used to have to do this sometimes drop kids off at 7.30 and supposed to be at work for 8am 14 miles away.
The answer is don't have kids then if you're unwilling or incapable of managing their education without inflicting your convenience upon the rest of society.

Double the cost of fuel sold for private use and suddenly these objections will melt away as the cold hard reality hits. These are not legitimate objections - they are simply excuses.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Top Bottom