200%totally confused about which bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have been talkngabout a new bike for ages now. I seem to have settled on one then the other, then none, then something else...and so it goes on. I seem to have got som emuch info that I have got myself all confused. IN short...totally mixed up and unsure which bike is best for me. So I throw myself at the mercy of my learned mates on CC to suggest a suiter.

This is what i think I want:

Good fast solid long distance comfy ride (not a tourer)
I want it to look the nutz
Budget max £1300 (total tops)
Lightweight
Suitable for daily loops iro 40km and weekenders of around 120km

So far I looked at the bianchi 928's, via nirone alu carb, and the orbea vuelta & onix with sram gear.

Sizing where it is getting really confusing. One dealer says one thing which another contradicts... There are no decent dealers near to me who will get in a larger frame size unless I commit to buy first.

Bottom line is that because I got all mixed up, I havent bought anything. I have spoken to dealers in person and on line, not one of them has been able to put my mind at ease enough for me to part with my cash, a large % of them I would rate as completely useless if not deliberatly misleading on occassion. I do not trust bike dealers.

So do i need a carbon, alu, steel, road, race, audax, etc?? I jus tdont know any more....maybe I'll take up swimming and invest in some new trunks instead...:biggrin::wacko:;):biggrin:

Noodley

BTFB, you sound as if you need a carbon road bike for the short loops and slightly longer weekend rides.

Who have you spoken to? I have had no dealings with them in relation to bikes, but Planet X get good feedback. I have bought a few bits and pieces (very low cost stuff) and I have been impressed by their attitude.

If it was to be an off-the-peg bike available in LBS: Bianchi

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
So do i need a carbon, alu, steel, road, race, audax, etc?? I jus tdont know any more....maybe I'll take up swimming and invest in some new trunks instead...:biggrin::wacko::thumbsup::sad:

Are you sure you want trunks ? Maybe swimming shorts would be more suitable :biggrin:

Good luck with the bike hunt, hope it's worth it in the end :smile: i've been looking for a new tourer & was thinking of the Ridgeback Panorama, but the LBS recommended the Spesh tricross :wacko: maybe that's because he doesn't sell Ridgeback bikes :becool:

purplemoon

I can't advise you on bikes as I don't have a clue myself, but (assuming you haven't already tried this place) I found the guy at Rutland Cycling to be very knowledgeable and helpful over the phone when buying bikes for my son and I recently.

Worth giving him a call or even better if you could manage to get up there in person as they stock a wide variety of bikes :becool:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I agree with the difficulty of buying a bike :biggrin:.

I've been on a slow journey as well and, like you, I'm in danger of becoming confused with the amazing variety of what is available.

I've always maintained a preference for visiting the LBS and "try-before-you-buy". However, with your experience (and you are quite an experienced cyclist now, knowing what you like/don't like and want/don't want), you might be able to buy from an online company.
I have been considering
- Planet X, either the Superlight Team 'Clubman' or the Kaffenback
- Felt Z series
- one of the Jamis bikes - probably Quest

My requirements are not too far removed from yours, though I am thinking (it's free :biggrin:) more of longer distance day rides (sportive type); not touring; not racing; more comfort than speed but not slow either.

Of course, swimming is very good cross-training - and can be a foundation for your future triathlon career :rofl: :biggrin::biggrin:

Does this help/ hinder ???

Good fast solid long distance comfy ride (not a tourer)
I want it to look the nutz
Budget max £1300 (total tops)
Lightweight
Suitable for daily loops iro 40km and weekenders of around 120km

Sounds like you need a Ti or steel Audax bike. I'd steer clear of Alu.

Have a look at the Van Nicholas Yukon or the Sunday cycles Ti Audax or one of the Enigma Audax bikes. Or a Jamis Quest (631 steel). They're the type of geometry you need for what you describe above.

The Ti ones are a bit out of your price range tho, and I doubt if anyone stocks the Jamis.

Fat Birds (in Hunstanton sellign VN) have lots of sizes to try.

If you're unsure about size then perhaps its worth going to some of the firms that will give you just a measuring service - just make sure you specify what type of riding you're planning to do
eg
http://www.rockandroadcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b14s338p297&mode=print

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I looked at the planet x site...I can afford this:

Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon Dura Ace Build Black - X-Large 1
£850.21 £850.21
Shimano Dura Ace PD 7810 SL 1
£90.00 £90.00
Planet X Pro Carbon Bottle Cage Matt 1
£17.87 £17.87
Planet X Pro Carbon Bottle Cage Matt 1
£17.87 £17.87
Tri Bars - Type: No Thanks 1
£0.00 £0.00
Subtotal £975.95
VAT £170.80
Total £1,146.75

..only I dont like the black colour...not visiable enough and ...well i prefer blue/white....

....I mentioned the planet x bikes to the orbea dealer and I havent heard from him since.

It seems impossible to get a definative answer from dealers about the bike size, stem length etc. I have provided a full set of detailed measurements

1) Inside leg 86cm 34”
2) Torso 52cm 20 ½ “
3) Arm 75cm 29 ½”
4) Femur 52cm 20 ½”
5) Forearm 37cm 14 ½”
6) Shoulder 50cm 19 ½”
7) Shoe size UK 13
8) Height 190cm 6’ 2 ½”
9) Weight 15s 3lbs

but still they um and argh...or even worse just guess....makes me wonder just how technical and detailed all this bike sizing lark actually is...I mean most dealers in the shops (those that actually know that bikes are supposed to be fitted) simple take one look at me and say that I am xcm frame size...erm...which just so happens to be the one I have in stock this week...right.

At the moment the Orbea onix tour is my lurve interest:
http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/orbea.htm

only I cant afford it...

I though long and hard about audax bikes, but although they make a lot of practical sense they just don't set me on fire...I mean they are like the plain Jane you know is going to make a perfect housewife & mother....well I already have a Good Galaxy tourer....and I want to flirt around a bit with the short skirted fit and fast bird...I think this is probably the wrong attitude:biggrin:

kyuss

Veteran
Have you thought about putting something together yourself. I only ask because this would suit your needs perfectly and the guys at Kinesis are the most helpful folk I've come across and they build fantastic frames. I've been lusting after that one since it came out.

Only problem is that it seems to be available as a frame and fork only and at £700 (though Wiggle have them for £650 and Winstanley for £552) it might be tight getting one in at your £1300 budget without making a few compromises on groupset and finishing kit, but it's a cracking frame that would be worthy of upgrades as time went on.

Hi BFTB

well your last post proves that you are short of knowledge.

Perhaps I should have said audax/sportive. It seems you haven't even looked at the specs/geometry of the bikes I've suggested, which are light years away from you Galaxy. Perhaps I shouldn't bother giving you my 30 years worth of cycling experience !

The 'audax' bikes that I quoted are fast days bikes - very sporty and not a at all like your Galaxy. These a good compromise between long distance comfort and lively ride.

By all means by a fast out and out race bike - but I bet within a few weeks you'll be complaining that it won't be comfortable.

You quote a list of reqs - which to me after nearly 30 years of cycling experiece - shout fast audax/spotive type bike.

Oh by the way sizing........

I'm 6 foot and ride a 55cm frame with 56 top tube (after starting out on a 24" - 60cm - frame 30 years ago - way too big).

But I like a fairly racey position. But even so my fast audax bike is only 1 cm bigger (just to give me that bit more upright riding position for longer rides).

I suspect you'd want something around a 58cm (if compact then 58cm equiv). People tend to ride bikes that are much too big for tthem.

But these days with compacts I tend to go by how long the top tube &head tube is - that more than anything dictates my position and how upright (or more sporty) I can get the bars without adding too many spacers above the headset.

The oject is to try and keep the bike as small as possible whilst still being able to get a good position.

On my sportive bike I have he stem flipped up (so it points upwards) to again get the bars a bit higher whilst maintaining a small(ish) frame.

e-rider

crappy member
Sounds like you know what you want, but you are having trouble finding it! Size, colours, materials, groupset etc.

I'm not going to recommend any bikes as I'm sure you've looked at most of them already, and have your fav. brands.

I will make 2 points though:

1. In 20 years I've found about 2-3 people in bikes shops that actually know what they are talking about - the rest don't have a clue and just try and sell what they have in stock!

2. Getting the correct size bike seems to be more difficult for larger riders because shops don't hold the stock so you can't try them, fewer sizes are made in the first place (often just 61cm) and differences in reach, inside leg, geometry are all greater because of the increased length of everything, making it more difficult to get a 'good' fit.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Bigtallfatbloke said:
but still they um and argh...or even worse just guess....makes me wonder just how technical and detailed all this bike sizing lark actually is...I mean most dealers in the shops (those that actually know that bikes are supposed to be fitted) simple take one look at me and say that I am xcm frame size...erm...which just so happens to be the one I have in stock this week...right.
BTFB - there is someone out there who totally agrees with you about "how technical and detailed all this bike sizing lark actually is".

Go to Peter White. I have found this very interesting and gained a lot more confidence to attempt to fit a bike for myself (and I'm not too far off your height :biggrin: and weight :biggrin:)

and I want to flirt around a bit with the short skirted fit and fast bird...I think this is probably the wrong attitude:biggrin:
... which is why I am looking at the audax/ sportive type of bike - fast, comfy, not too wild. But I am more elderly than you are :rolleyes:

..... and married !

e-rider

crappy member
And I disagree with itisaboutthebike that " most people tend to ride bikes that are too big for them" . Since compact frames hit the scene 10 years ago I've seen a growing number of riders on 'child-like' sized bikes! Yes, compact is compact but this shouldn't mean riding a bike way too small with a 400mm post and 140mm stem on a 54cm frame. Anyway, I know there are just as many people at 5'9" riding 60cm bikes too!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

well your last post proves that you are short of knowledge.

Perhaps I should have said audax/sportive. It seems you haven't even looked at the specs/geometry of the bikes I've suggested, which are light years away from you Galaxy. Perhaps I shouldn't bother giving you my 30 years worth of cycling experience !

The 'audax' bikes that I quoted are fast days bikes - very sporty and not a at all like your Galaxy. These a good compromise between long distance comfort and lively ride.

By all means by a fast out and out race bike - but I bet within a few weeks you'll be complaining that it won't be comfortable.

You quote a list of reqs - which to me after nearly 30 years of cycling experiece - shout fast audax/spotive type bike

apologies, i didnt mean to piss you off.:biggrin:

Top Bottom