2000 - 2010 Road Casualty Map

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Depressing viewing.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we have looked at it before, but it's such an interesting, if macabre source of information that it's worth bringing back from time to time.

Two lane A-roads. Not good.

OP
OP
Dronespace

Dronespace

Regular
Depressing viewing.

Indeed :sad:

And apparently it's missing several fatalities (as mentioned by other users), so it's even more grim unfortunately.

Not surprised that certain areas such as Old Street / City Road (Central London) have a lot of icons, as that is a very dangerous place.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Old Street seems to have fewer than Kings Cross - and, yes, while there's a concentration of icons there, there's also a large number of cyclists.

I took a look at Markyate Lane near Hooley, in Surrey. Sure enough, minor road with a whole lot of serous cycling injuries. But, then again, it used to be on the BHF route, so probably saw more cyclists in one day than nearby roads saw in a year.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Damn,

I remembered an incident a few years ago on that road. Its a bad 'un. Coppers were taking a girl home, who'd been arrested. As far as I remember they were going too fast, lost it and the girl was injured, I think killed. I was wondereing if it appeared.

But my search took me to this

My link

I'd missed it....

jugglingphil

I think the map should be viewed by all road users. It shows as a Nation how we sweep road deaths and injury under the carpet so that we don't have to deal with the causes.

OP
OP
Dronespace

Dronespace

Regular
How long do you have to survive after a crash for your statistics to only show serious injury. Very sadly the two cyclists who appear in this part of the map both never recovered and died of their head injuries, one after about 4 years, and the other after about 6 months.

That is a good question, I'm not sure myself, but that can really change the statistics.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Checked out my regular routes, thankfully free of cyclist accidents. What's quite telling is that the amount of pedestrian deaths almost outweigh the motorist one's in most major cities. Shows just how poor people's general awareness is. I suspect there's an awful lot of "stepping out" going on. The amount of people I see crossing dangerously when there's a pedestrian crossing not 10 ft away. Perhaps the americans have it right with the jaywalking laws. Food for thought...

dawesome

The death at the end of my road is listed, a retired master craftsman was hit on his bike by a woman doing 40 in a 30 zone. She got a £500 fine and a year ban.

Top Bottom