2017 and 2018 Prudential RideLondon - Surrey Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
14 of the 18 teams have entered RL. I think I read, or heard something, saying that all 18 will have to be involved next year (presumably with 8 riders instead of 7). SS worth more points too.

Degenkolb got his excuses in early; I think we need to face the facts that The Made-Up London Thing is not a classic nor is it ever going to be irrespective of what "status" the UCI give it.

Given the choice of riding San Sebastian , the Tour of Poland, or the London Thingy I think the start lists will tell you which events the teams are giving a shite about.
I have often wondered how a brand new race was immediately ascribed the Classic name, kind of like giving yourself your own nick name.

Doseone

Guru
Only watched the last 20k. Was interesting ish. The peloton either timed the catch to perfection or got lucky and there was no real sprint train or lead out, but a good win for Kristoff.

Also interesting to see Cav doing some broadcasting, and good to see Boardman and Millar on the BBC.

I have often wondered how a brand new race was immediately ascribed the Classic name, kind of like giving yourself your own nick name.
Perhaps they should rename it the Ace Rimmer Classique
Smoke+_231ef33ec419f60294eb3b85d0c0b87d.jpg

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Only watched the last 20k. Was interesting ish. The peloton either timed the catch to perfection or got lucky and there was no real sprint train or lead out, but a good win for Kristoff.

Also interesting to see Cav doing some broadcasting, and good to see Boardman and Millar on the BBC.
Mixed egg with the coverage. I like Millar's commentary but I'd understand if he got on some people's dugs. I thought the on-moto commentary also worked, especially the bit around 16km where a few of the riders tucked in right beside the moto. My guess is it was there to make up for the single? copter, but it worked fine.

The last 2km to the finish was a coverage disaster though. The chopper could barely pick out the riders and there didn't seem to be cameras on the ground covering the entry into Pall Mall. The camera positions at the finish were gash - the view was so foreshortened by the zoom and shallow angle down the straight that there was no sense of how the sprint was unfolding.

Still, that's my Box Hill strava down another 180 spots.

Mixed egg with the coverage. I like Millar's commentary but I'd understand if he got on some people's dugs. I thought the on-moto commentary also worked, especially the bit around 16km where a few of the riders tucked in right beside the moto. My guess is it was there to make up for the single? copter, but it worked fine.

The last 2km to the finish was a coverage disaster though. The chopper could barely pick out the riders and there didn't seem to be cameras on the ground covering the entry into Pall Mall. The camera positions at the finish were gash - the view was so foreshortened by the zoom and shallow angle down the straight that there was no sense of how the sprint was unfolding.

Did they not make a horlocks of the end last year? And in previous editions?

The moto cameras seemed to be attracting a lot of "f*ck off away from here" arm gestures from riders in the bits I watched, I counted at least 4 riders gesturing them to get away up the road at different points.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Did they not make a horlocks of the end last year? And in previous editions?
100% record maintained then.
The moto cameras seemed to be attracting a lot of "f*ck off away from here" arm gestures from riders in the bits I watched, I counted at least 4 riders gesturing them to get away up the road at different points.
I saw that a couple of times, but I think it was the standard cameraman-on-the-back motor getting the grief. Some of those lanes look very narrow when you shove a full peloton down them, so I guess space was at a premium.

100% record maintained then.

I saw that a couple of times, but I think it was the standard cameraman-on-the-back motor getting the grief. Some of those lanes look very narrow when you shove a full peloton down them, so I guess space was at a premium.

It was also a much poorer startlist than I recall in previous years.
Which is strange as it was elevated to World Tour status this year.

There are no free weekends on the World Tour calendar, so it was always be competing with other events; if it cannot compete with Tour of Poland and San Sebastian then there's little hope of it competing with other events on other weekends...

There are no free weekends on the World Tour calendar, so it was always be competing with other events; if it cannot compete with Tour of Poland and San Sebastian then there's little hope of it competing with other events on other weekends...

Here's a podium pic from a race today, not a World Tour event, Nivone criterium:

20525398_1111480248952411_1213080187375055733_n.jpg

I reckon that sums up London's chances.

Doseone

Guru

Yes all we got for a bit was a heli shot of the tops of some trees!

I find generally that the zoom shot of the sprint finish doesn't leave you with much clue who's won or by how much, it's only when you get to see the overhead shots that things become clearer.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Here's a podium pic from a race today, not a World Tour event, Nivone criterium:

View attachment 365259

I reckon that sums up London's chances.
Nowt wrong with a proper old-skool post-tour crit, but the nationalities of the entrants probably says everything about the race.
PDF Deelnemerslijst 2017.pdf

I've some sympathy with the argument that the London race reeks of 'new money' and lacks history but the sport will go where cash and sponsors dictate. That's not necessarily the event's fault, but I'd agree that it's a fragile market and could end up dying on it's @arse if the interest in competetive cycling in the UK takes a dip. For all the hype, the audience for road racing in the UK is enthusiastic but largely undiscerning - they're happy enough with a bit of a novelty day out.

lyn1

Über Member
It was also a much poorer startlist than I recall in previous years.
Which is strange as it was elevated to World Tour status this year.

I think that's perception because a few big names appear to be missing, rather than the reality. Replacing 5 or 6 3rd division domestic teams with the same number of WT teams can only strengthen the depth of field. London is a "second tier" WT race, whereas Poland and San Sebastian are established top tier WT events, so perhaps no surprise they have more pulling power at this stage. That said, I do not buy the arguments in commentary that this is an iconic race with testing parcours and that teams are clambering to race it. Lincoln GP would be a more entertaining parcours and there would be bigger crowds in Yorkshire villages. The majority of WT teams are here because the organiser did a deal with Velon (no doubt at a cost) to guarantee their attendance.

I think that's perception because a few big names appear to be missing, rather than the reality. Replacing 5 or 6 3rd division domestic teams with the same number of WT teams can only strengthen the depth of field. London is a "second tier" WT race, whereas Poland and San Sebastian are established top tier WT events, so perhaps no surprise they have more pulling power at this stage. That said, I do not buy the arguments in commentary that this is an iconic race with testing parcours and that teams are clambering to race it. Lincoln GP would be a more entertaining parcours and there would be bigger crowds in Yorkshire villages. The majority of WT teams are here because the organiser did a deal with Velon (no doubt at a cost) to guarantee their attendance.
I reckon the Degenkolb's sat with the race calendar when planning their 2nd child and planned their rumpy-pumpy accordingly so that Mr D could miss it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more pro cycling births in late July in years to come :laugh:

Top Bottom