2017 and 2018 Prudential RideLondon - Surrey Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
The last 2km to the finish was a coverage disaster though. The chopper could barely pick out the riders and there didn't seem to be cameras on the ground covering the entry into Pall Mall. The camera positions at the finish were gash - the view was so foreshortened by the zoom and shallow angle down the straight that there was no sense of how the sprint was unfolding.

Did they not make a horlocks of the end last year? And in previous editions?

It's a disaster every year. They haven't sorted out the run in past Parliament or up the Mall at all. Still, they excelled themselves this year by cutting away to a meaningless shot of the peloton just as the sprint was unfolding. They may be limited for camera positions but there's no excuse for plain dull direction.

I think that's perception because a few big names appear to be missing, rather than the reality. I do not buy the arguments in commentary that this is an iconic race with testing parcours and that teams are clambering to race it.

My perception is that Ride London's crept nearer to the TdF as well, which can't help, but the parcours of it and the women's race seem a bit mickey mouse to me; particularly the Ranmoor and Leith Hill loops in the classic and the ridiculous Strand and Constitution Hill hairpins in the Classique.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I reckon the Degenkolb's sat with the race calendar when planning their 2nd child and planned their rumpy-pumpy accordingly so that Mr D could miss it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more pro cycling births in late July in years to come :laugh:
Must of missed my earlier post, because a TdF commentator said over a week before the end of the tour, that that day's stage might be his last one due to his wife expecting their baby.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Have they ever used, or experimented with, those travelling cameras like you have at the athletics sprint races?
upload_2017-7-31_21-22-33.png
upload_2017-7-31_21-23-8.png
Obviously due to rider safety and spectators, they would have to be at a raised level or on suspended rail or cable. They would be great in a sprint finish.

I think that's perception because a few big names appear to be missing, rather than the reality. Replacing 5 or 6 3rd division domestic teams with the same number of WT teams can only strengthen the depth of field. London is a "second tier" WT race, whereas Poland and San Sebastian are established top tier WT events, so perhaps no surprise they have more pulling power at this stage. That said, I do not buy the arguments in commentary that this is an iconic race with testing parcours and that teams are clambering to race it. Lincoln GP would be a more entertaining parcours and there would be bigger crowds in Yorkshire villages. The majority of WT teams are here because the organiser did a deal with Velon (no doubt at a cost) to guarantee their attendance.
I think the WT teams are at London because it is a 1.UWT race, so it is like, mandatory they attend.

sleaver

Veteran
Have they ever used, or experimented with, those travelling cameras like you have at the athletics sprint races?
View attachment 365416 View attachment 365417 Obviously due to rider safety and spectators, they would have to be at a raised level or on suspended rail or cable. They would be great in a sprint finish.
In Paris for The Tour, I noticed they had a moto going up and down the central part of the Champs-Élysées with a cameraman. Does that count?

View attachment 365416 View attachment 365417 Obviously due to rider safety and spectators, they would have to be at a raised level or on suspended rail or cable. They would be great in a sprint finish.

As sleaver said they use the first one in Paris. The second one is great for stadiums where the supporting structure only has to be erected once but i can imagine they're an expensive pita to set up for one day.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom

lyn1

Über Member
I think the WT teams are at London because it is a 1.UWT race, so it is like, mandatory they attend.
No...it is a new WT race and as such not compulsory at this time. Going forward, the new races need to justify their rise to this level by attracting strong participation by WT teams or they will drop down again. Hence some organisers doing deals with Velon to guarantee the required level of participation

No...it is a new WT race and as such not compulsory at this time. Going forward, the new races need to justify their rise to this level by attracting strong participation by WT teams or they will drop down again. Hence some organisers doing deals with Velon to guarantee the required level of participation
so a 1. or 2. UWT is not compulsory attendance for the first couple of editions then ? OK.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I think that's perception because a few big names appear to be missing, rather than the reality. Replacing 5 or 6 3rd division domestic teams with the same number of WT teams can only strengthen the depth of field. London is a "second tier" WT race, whereas Poland and San Sebastian are established top tier WT events, so perhaps no surprise they have more pulling power at this stage. That said, I do not buy the arguments in commentary that this is an iconic race with testing parcours and that teams are clambering to race it. Lincoln GP would be a more entertaining parcours and there would be bigger crowds in Yorkshire villages. The majority of WT teams are here because the organiser did a deal with Velon (no doubt at a cost) to guarantee their attendance.

Good news for 2018. Changes to the calendar means that the race will not clash with the Tour of Poland or San Sebastian next year - so we should expect a stronger start list and the race will be able to establish itself better.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/worldtour-2018-races-whats-on-and-when-352118

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom