24.0mm seatpost needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I've a Peugeot Carmargue (the racer and not the shopper, if you Google it) which, judging by the components, dates from the early Eighties.

I would like to replace the seatpost as it's a little short for me; if I could source one with an integrated clamp too, that would be great.

However, although the external diameter of the frame is 28.6mm it has been shimmed (in the factory) to 24.0mm and I cannot find any posts that size.

The shim looks to be held in place with some brazing along the top for about half it's circumference, so I could probably just file it off.

Any advice or suggestions.

Thanks.

tyred

Legendary Member
French or German Ebay? As a fellow old Pug owner, I know how difficult these are to track down.

I feel your pain - 24mm seatposts have been a pain my @rse on a couple of occasions over the past 12 months. (not literally I should add :blush:).
Send this guy a message through eBay - http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/magicbikemike&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533
He was selling some 22.? Acor seatposts and a properly machined shim to make it 24mm, but he's sold out of these. I bought one for the first Peugeot resto I did and they where very good, and even had an integrated clamp.
Then I sold that frame, (with the post, D'oh!), and a couple of months later acquired another 80's Peugeot with the standard short @rse seatpost. I contacted him but he'd sold out of the post and shim combos, although he did say he was waiting for a prototype of an actual 24mm post. I never pursued it as I managed to get one off another eBay seller, but I had to pay £45 for the privilege! It was brand new, but was unbranded, never the less it was 400mm so gave me the height I needed and got my project finished.
I tried all sorts, even speaking to tube manufacturers, and steel stockholders etc. Trust the bloody french to use a one off size post, and for a short span of time, grrrrr!
Best of luck with the search Pal :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Thanks for getting back to me: I've sent Mike a message, but unfortunately the German guys don't ship to the UK.

I suppose it's part of the "fun" of owning an old bike; perversely I like these idiosyncrasies and feel more attached to my bikes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
jimmy oh jimmy welcome to the fun of riding peugoets are you sure its 24.0 mm you require , theres loads of shims out there that should do the job

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
will check to see what i have in collection and advise 2moro ,no promises

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I feel your pain - 24mm seatposts have been a pain my @rse on a couple of occasions over the past 12 months. (not literally I should add :blush:).
Send this guy a message through eBay - http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/magicbikemike&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533
He was selling some 22.? Acor seatposts and a properly machined shim to make it 24mm, but he's sold out of these. I bought one for the first Peugeot resto I did and they where very good, and even had an integrated clamp.
Then I sold that frame, (with the post, D'oh!), and a couple of months later acquired another 80's Peugeot with the standard short @rse seatpost. I contacted him but he'd sold out of the post and shim combos, although he did say he was waiting for a prototype of an actual 24mm post. I never pursued it as I managed to get one off another eBay seller, but I had to pay £45 for the privilege! It was brand new, but was unbranded, never the less it was 400mm so gave me the height I needed and got my project finished.
I tried all sorts, even speaking to tube manufacturers, and steel stockholders etc. Trust the bloody french to use a one off size post, and for a short span of time, grrrrr!
Best of luck with the search Pal :thumbsup:
Heard back from MBM and he did have some seatposts made but they're £50 and I only paid £60 for the bike!

He does have some 22.2mm to 24mm shims for £15 and there are plenty of those around (seems to be the standard for BMX bikes).

Top Bottom