25 mile training run, critque!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moonlight

Good day to you fellow forumers ;)

Today me and my friend did a 25 mile course in order to prepare for club runs at the start of next season. This morning, we did 25 miles in 1:10'13, this would indicate that it's a low score on a club level board...however, there are many factors to account...

-My bike is a rather old battered Carrera Virtuoso wieghing in at a casual 13kg.
-It was not an individual TT as we we're sharing the work.
-We had to slow for roundabouts.
-The course was mainly flat with 2 or 3 casual inclines.
-My friend got a blowout before we started, resulting in only 70 psi in his rear tube.
-40% of the course was in a 5mph head wind, 30% was in a 5mph tailwind. The rest was a 5mph sidewind.
-I bonked out with 2 miles to go (serves me right for not eating enough carbs,...) and thus our speed went from 40km/h to 25.... woops.

So, all things considered..was it any good?

cheers,
ML

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So basically you were averaging getting on for 21mph and you're asking whether it's any good? I don't do clubs but I don't think you have too much to worry about to say the least...

;):bravo:

Night Train

Maker of Things
It should really start with 'Today, my friend and I did...'. You can tell I am a teacher again this term. ;)
Your run is an awful lot better then I could do though. Well done.

Smeggers

rich p said:
Put it this way - you'd have time to buy the breakfast before I got to the caff

Put it this way - you'd have time to buy the breakfast, cook the breakfast, eat the breakfast and wash the pots before I got to the caff!!

Monkey Boy

Considering that they shared the effort....it's not staggering. Not bad, but not earth shattering. You could quite happily remove 2-5mph avarage if you are sharing the work properly. If you were out on your todd then 21mph avg is pretty good going. Sounds like a reasonable first outing stab....keep it up!!

Bonking after 25 miles is unusual but depends on how empty the tank was. Normally takes me about 2000 calories before the bonk sets in.

RedBike

That should be more than quick enough.

Club rides will vary in pace dramatically but generally speaking if you can average about 17/18mph on your own then you'll have no trouble keeping up with a group averaging 20ish mph; and few club rides will average anything over that. If they do it's not a social club ride, it's a race!

Just stay off the front of the group and never let a gap open up between you and the rider infront.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Do some longer rides first. You will find that after abit, that average speed will drop. But basicly, yes you are ready for club rides.
We average mid 17mph's on a slow day, over 90 miles we were high end 18's.
Let them know you havent done a really long ride before and you will find they slow down, especially when you get to hills to see how good you are.
As for Bonking, not done it over that distance, you just need to remember to keep eating. If you were pushing yourself hard and you feel hungry then eat. Dont think that because you havent got far to go, or it will slow you down to eat. Just eat. I take cereal bars along to munch on, but can happily go to the cafe without them now.
Dont worry about the bike, my SCR4 probably weighs slightly more, or about the same as your bike and i beat people on full carbon bikes. I also beat them when i'm on the fixed:evil:

roadiewill

yeah what bike you have doesnt matter, as long as its a road bike with skinny tyres. people with carbon bikes have it all in the head...not in the legs

yenrod

Moonlight said:
Good day to you fellow forumers :tongue:

Today me and my friend did a 25 mile course in order to prepare for club runs at the start of next season. This morning, we did 25 miles in 1:10'13, this would indicate that it's a low score on a club level board...however, there are many factors to account...

-My bike is a rather old battered Carrera Virtuoso wieghing in at a casual 13kg.
-It was not an individual TT as we we're sharing the work.
-We had to slow for roundabouts.
-The course was mainly flat with 2 or 3 casual inclines.
-My friend got a blowout before we started, resulting in only 70 psi in his rear tube.
-40% of the course was in a 5mph head wind, 30% was in a 5mph tailwind. The rest was a 5mph sidewind.
-I bonked out with 2 miles to go (serves me right for not eating enough carbs,...) and thus our speed went from 40km/h to 25.... woops.

So, all things considered..was it any good?

cheers,
ML

I feel that pretty good if not great !

Esp. at your age !

Keep it up !

But remember to do some rides whereby you go slower for longer ;) as well as the fast fun ones !!!

monnet

Guru
yenrod said:
But remember to do some rides whereby you go slower for longer ;) as well as the fast fun ones !!!

A very good point - club runs will be 17-20mph in my experience (depending on the conditions and terrain) but the important factor is the distance. The runs in my club vary between 65 and 90 miles. And 21 mph for 25 miles is VERY different to 17mph for 75 miles.

Top Bottom