26in Disc wheels on 700c frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
Hi all

I've come across a frame (and forks and a few other bits) that might serve as my next project.

At the momenr it's got 700c rims with V brakes. I'm looking to build something on 26in wheels.
The frame set does have bosses for Discs so, if I fit 26in disc spec wheels (and Disc brakes of course) will that be alright or am I going to have issues?
I'd consider changing the fork altogether.

simon.r

Person
I'd think it'd bolt together OK, but the BB height will be lower (depending on what tyres you fit), so increased risk of pedal strike due to less clearance.

It might look a bit odd, but that's purely subjective - one man's meat and all that:smile:

The obvious question is why not fit 700c disc wheels?

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
well I was planning to put something together a bit more aimed at rolling off road, so was thinking 2.10 or fatter MTB tyres, I've already got a nice road bike for the bulk of my cycling see.
I did consider the 700c disc wheels but doesn't match up with the idea I had. I might just leave this frame and find something more of a match

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
what clearances does the frame have for 700c tyres? it will work but it's very much a case of try it and see. Also what's the rear spacing, I'm guessing it's 135mm as it has disc tabs.

For example my road frame is a large clearance 700c disc bike, up to 700x45. From a geometry and handling perspective the numbers are almost identical, height of BB, trail, etc between running 700x23 or 26x2" tyres. A smaller tyre will decrease trail and BB height and vice versa.

The main hurdle would be whether the tyre you wanted to run would fit between the stays, but it's easy to try a set and see before spending any real dosh.

Top Bottom