28t Sprocket - Sourcing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Anyone know where I can get my hands on a 28t sprocket (shimano).

Doing the White Rose and Rydale Rumble, and I figure I need all the help I can get :biggrin:

Don't want to have to buy a whole cassette if I can help it.

SJS used to sell them, but the 28's seems to have disappeared, and the LBS (who are usually pretty good) don't seem to know how to aquire one either.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
have you rang spa cycles?

NickM

Veteran

Will1985

Über Member
Ebay? I got mine off there. It's Campag though so not very useful to you.

Could a Marchisio sprocket from Parker work? I'm not au fait with Shimano freehubs and cassettes so don't know the layout. The 10s last position sprocket is £13.95

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A Marchisio sprocket would also need a carrier.
This begs the question of how wide is a carrier? Will it match the sprocket plus spacer you are taking off the Shimano cassette? Does it matter on the end click?

In the end, you'd have to try it out and take the chance of wasting your £13.95

peanut

I'd get a cheap 11-32 9 speed mtb cassette. Drill out the 3x bolts and you have a 28t and a 24t if you need it.
Remove the 14t from your cassette and put the 28t behind the carrier with a spacer from the 11-32 cassette simples:biggrin:

Just did the same thing myself.I think I got a Deore cassette or something similar for £15.00
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=SHIMCASM300
the image is of a black cassette but it is a nickle finish not black

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'm not sure what the current cassette is, it's a 9 spd 12-26 and doesn't have a carrier (all the sprockets are individual, with spacers behind), hence I thought it would be simple to replace one of the middle sprockets with a slightly lower bottom gear....

I've now found the part on Petra, and ordered a 28t sprocket.

My knees thank you for you help :smile:

Top Bottom