30mm aero

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R600

Über Member
is there any advantage from a 30mm rim in a timetrial. i ask because im thinking of buying a pair of hope hoops pro 3 rs-sp for nice day cycling and maybe local club timetrials. any body got a pair of hope hoops and have an opinion on what there like. cheers

maurice

I've got these wheels on my Cervelo S1, ridden them for 10 months.

I use them as a standard everyday wheel, they are reasonably tough and have good hubs. Additionally I use them for road racing and time trials which they do ok at, but not really the best (not the lightest, and not the most aero, but a reasonable all rounder)

When I have the funds I plan to get some 50mm carbon rimmed tubular wheels for testing and racing, but these do ok for now.

If I was you I would recommend also looking at whatever deals Planet X have on their own brand and Mavic wheels, they have some really good offers at times.

maurice

Oh and to answer the original question - you're not going to feel a massive benefit over a 'normal' rim. Every little helps, but you're not going to see a good value performance gain in a TT. You would be better off getting aerobars then a time trial helmet if you don't own these already.

OP
OP
R600

R600

Über Member
thanks for the replies guys. can't realy afford the 50mm wheels but would love to own apair, need to have a think andmaybe save a bit more.

Will1985

Über Member
Good call - 30mm isn't worth it. Aero really begins at ~40mm. In some conditions such as the high winds yesterday, 40mm is probably quite a good choice - I had a few hairy moments using disc and trispoke, as did most of the others using similar wheels.

I hadn't heard of the wheels you mentioned, but having done a quick google for the price I can tell you that 50mm carbon tubs from carbonzone (ebay) cost slightly less.

OP
OP
R600

R600

Über Member
i have seen the carbon zone wheels and was very tempted. again does anybody own a pair of these and what is the quality like.

Top Bottom