350 words...how many sides of A4?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Silly little question, but I have a small essay to do...xx(

Assuming you don't have massive handwriting, is there a rule of thumb as to how many words fit onto a side of lined A4 paper?

I have to write an essay of approximately 350 words and don't want to be counting each and every word. :eek:

Any takers?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Traditionally quoted as a single side (or less). Whether you believe this to be true or not take a guess. One a page of a book 400+ words isn't that inaccurate.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Just write a few lines, say four or five, in your normal size handwriting. Take the average number of words in a line, and divide that into 350.

That gives you the number of lines, count the lines on your page.
and that should give you the number of pages you need to write.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Sounds good to me! Thanks for the advice.
Speicher...now why didn't I think of that?

yoyo

My rule of thumb is that my sentences average at about ten words each;350 words = 35 sentences.

LondonCommuter

if you type it there's always word count in word

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Speicher said:
Do you mind me asking the subject of your essay?
I'm applying for a CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) course and I need to say why I want to do the course...they will, of course, be paying extra close attention to my handwriting, sentence structure, grammar, use of tenses, etc, etc...

Better knuckle down and get started now.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
In that case either do it on the computer first :rolleyes: or draft it in your writing in double line spacing, so you have room to make alterations without rewriting the whole thing. Or just do one paragraph on each page, then number the pages according to the order of the paragraph. Have you got plenty of paper?

Then write it up in your (neatest) handwriting. Good luck

Maz said:
I'm applying for a CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) course and I need to say why I want to do the course...they will, of course, be paying extra close attention to my handwriting, sentence structure, grammar, use of tenses, etc, etc...

Better knuckle down and get started now.
Ah, light dawns........
That makes more sense than a 350 word essay for summat academic.
Good luck. And wot Spikes said about doing on the pc first.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Speicher said:
In that case either do it on the computer first :rolleyes: or draft it in your writing in double line spacing, so you have room to make alterations without rewriting the whole thing. Or just do one paragraph on each page, then number the pages according to the order of the paragraph. Have you got plenty of paper?

Then write it up in your (neatest) handwriting. Good luck
Hmm, I think I will type it up first. Easy to edit and save on paper. Cheers.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I nearly always do short essays like this on the pc. I find it easier to get my otherwise jumbled thoughts written first and then reorganised to make it legible. Editing word is so much easier then rewriting long hand.

Good luck with it.

Top Bottom