40 and learning to ride...!!??!!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SeanNW6

Right my first post here, and let's get to the hub of the issue.

For whatever reason, I never learned to ride a bike when I was younger, and now I want to learn.

Just bought a second hand mountain bike and now determined to learn to ride asap.

My aim is to get up early in the morning....v v early.....and go to my local park. Intend on working on my balance. Just pushing myself down a gentle slope, lowering my seat and trying to maintain balance. This will allow me to use my dragging feet to maintain balance. When I think I have the instinctive feel to balance, I will start working the pedals.

Does this sound a realistic aim to you guys??

How long do you predict it will take me to learn to ride?

Thanks for your time.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have no idea but I have no doubt you can do it. My riding buddy who is now 58 only learnt to ride in his 50's and is awesome now.

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Hi Rich.
Thanks for the encouragement. Am determined to be up riding soon....just a matter of time hopefully...:biggrin:

Firstly well done for taking the plunge into learning to ride a bicycle :biggrin:

I've just listened to a podcast that was talking about older people learning to cycle and one of the key issues was to get the person learning to use the brakes before putting their feet down .. if you have an i-pod or something to download podcast's onto it was from the Ressonance FM show 104.4FM (London area only)

Good Luck Sean

Simon

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi, welcome to cycling, welcome to the forum. it doesn't matter how long it takes. as long as you stick at it. in a years time you will be bragging about your first 100km. good luck.

let the forum know how you get on.
There must be so many people out there who (for whatever reason) never got the opportunity to cycle when a kid and don't feel able to have a go later in life.
Hat's off to you for giving it a go. (Fully confident that you'll crack it!!)

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Thanks for all your messages of encouragement.
Aim to get out on Tues morning, so will post my progress later this week.
Your positive support is very welcome.......:biggrin:

wafflycat

If NW6 in your name refers to a part of London - then seriously consider getting yourself some proper cycle training - the link in the post further up in the thread gives you the details. Doing training *designed for adult learners* will help you swiftly develop the proper skills & confidence to be cycling as safely and assertively (not aggressively) as is possible.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Welcome!

You've got the right idea. To teach a kid, and it's the same for adults, the best way is to take the pedals off (just to stop them clunking your legs), lower the saddle so that you can get both feet down flat, and scoot along. Start by just walking the bike along, and very soon you'll find you are 'running' - and with every pace you are lifting your feet up and learning to balance the bike for that split second - and steer and use the brakes. All the split seconds add up in your mind as experience. Pretty soon you'll find you can lift the feet for longer on each stride, and freewheel along. When you're happy with that, re-fit the pedals, and scoot off, and you'll find it comes naturally to pedal. if you can find an area with a very slight gradient, it helps with momentum on the freewheeling (but make sure you can brake! Keep the brake levers covered with your fingers for easy use)

I taught a middle aged guy that way, he mastered it in under an hour - it may take longer, but work at your own pace.

If you can't get the pedals off (it may require a slimmer spanner than you have), you can scoot with them on, you just have to watch your shins and calves and stick your feet out a bit further.

Once you can physically ride the bike, that's just the beginning - I would also recommend adult training to get you confident on the roads.

You can of course be taught the scooting method at a class, but I'd suggest giving it a go first on your own, you might find you pick it up very quickly.

Go for it. But beware. It can be addictive....;)

jeltz

Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

Good for you for getting stuck in. I did ride a bike as a child but after a 20+ year break I got on one again and was extremely wobbly it took several rides before it started to come back.

You'll get there and will probably be tackling distances you'd never dream of before you know it!

hotmetal

Fair play mate, first off let me say you're not alone. My Mrs is 41 and cannot cycle. I really want to help her learn this summer.

I couldn't say how long it'll take but it shouldn't be too long. Make sure the slope is gentle though! I'm not sure whether it's better to be on grass (which would be bumpy but soft), or a path (if there is one in your park) which would be easier to stay balanced on, but might hurt more if you fall off. I'd recommend gloves and a helmet, and try a gentle path.

You might actually find that you are more stable when pedalling, rather than dragging your feet. However, it's a long time since I was in your position so go with what feels safest to you.

If you're new to bikes, please make sure your bike is safe! If in doubt get someone to check it over for you - you don't want to be learning on a bike where the wheels are loose and the brakes don't work! (I'm not being funny, both the other people who cycle to work in my place have bikes that I wouldn't dare get on! I told them what they need to fix and they weren't even aware there was a problem).

Good luck and enjoy it - cycling is a great way to get around for free (ish) and get fit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Welcome and congratulations on your decision to get fit. You will find it hard at first but with the bike set up correctly it won't be long before you're feeling better and better. Do bear in mind that a lot can be adjusted on a bike and if you're unhappy about anything, it can be changed.

I don't want to over-complicate things for you but to balance a bike you will realise that you actually have to steer in order to displace the front wheel and then the whole bike from underneath you. To turn left you actually start by steering right briefly in order to induce a left lean to the bike! Look at the tyre marks left by a bike and you'll see how this works.

It would really help if you could find an experienced cyclist to take a hard look at you and check your position on the bike. You will also need some clothing including gloves and helmet and of course a good lock if you plan to leave the bike anywhere at all. Buy a plastic water bottle and a bottle cage for the frame if there isn't already one fitted.

bauldbairn

SeanNW6 said:
I never learned to ride a bike when I was younger, and now I want to learn.

I intend on working on my balance. Just pushing myself down a gentle slope, lowering my seat and trying to maintain balance. This will allow me to use my dragging feet to maintain balance. When I think I have the instinctive feel to balance, I will start working the pedals.

Does this sound a realistic aim to you guys??

Welcome to the CC forums SeanNW6. :smile:

Sounds like you've got the right idea, don't worry about how long it takes you'll get there eventually. :cry:

Good luck and remember to let us know how you get on. :ohmy:

Top Bottom