5 Day Cycle Trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TobyM

In just under a week me and three friends (all 16) will be going on a 5 day trip starting from Ludlow, where we live, going to Borth, then Goodwick to Manorbier (shortest day - bit of a rest), then Manorbier to near Brecon, then Brecon to Ludlow.

So we will be staying the night in:
  • Borth (YHA)
  • Goodwick (Pwll Deri YHA)
  • Manorbier (YHA)
  • Brecon (Llwyn y Celyn)
We will therefore be doing about 80 miles each day, with the exception of Goodwick to Manorbier, although, depending on how tired we all are, we may make this distance further by following the coast.

Have you got any tips when riding this sort of distance? Also, I know this question has been asked before, would you recommend a small rucksack, or a pannier rack?

Finally, someone suggested to me that we should have got sponsors (for charity - apparently things like this help secure good Uni places!), but I think it's a bit late now. Do you think it's possible to get sponsors in a week, or shall we give that idea a miss?

I welcome any input and suggestions you may have!
Toby

chris-s

A rucksack will do the job but a pannier rack and/or a large saddle bag (carradice camper?) would be more comfortable.

Chris

OP
OP
T

TobyM

I think I'll take a pannier. I will be riding on a Specialized Allez (arriving this week, very exited!) and as far as I know it doesn't have pannier eyelets (I think that's the correct terminology), so I will be using a seat post mounted pannier. This isn't a problem, but it means very little room for a saddle bag!

Does anyone have any tips how I should prepare for the ride, in terms of food etc?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
In just under a week? No chance to improve fitness - just give it a go.

Food - what you eat during the 5 days will be as important as the few days before. Plenty, plenty of pasta, rice, etc. Keep heavy proteins for the evening.

Jelly Babies to fuel the ride during the day.

OP
OP
T

TobyM

In just under a week? No chance to improve fitness - just give it a go.

Food - what you eat during the 5 days will be as important as the few days before. Plenty, plenty of pasta, rice, etc. Keep heavy proteins for the evening.

Jelly Babies to fuel the ride during the day.

I've been working on my fitness for a while now on a borrowed bike, and my new bike is arriving this week - I'm a bit apprehensive about using a brand new bike that I haven't broken in but it should be fine. I'm going to make sure I bring allen keys etc to adjust gears as the cables stretch.

I will definitely be eating lots of pasta over this next week, and jelly babies are a must for any ride I do! I think I'll also get some energy tablets and some sports drinks to help me up those hills which lie between Shropshire and Borth.

What do you recommend for breakfast on the morning? Porridge?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Porridge is good. I have Oatabix, only because its in the house, and porridge isn't.

Generally the requirement is for an oat-based breakfast, with toast and honey.

Top Bottom