55 mile scenic (hilly!) loop from Hebden Bridge [POSTPONED due to illness]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hello again, hill-dodgers! :hello:

Many of you enjoyed avoiding my recent hilly forum ride based on the 'Calderdale 70', so I thought I would give you the chance to miss out on another one ... :laugh:

I actually missed out on my own ride last time because I came down with a heavy cold just before it took place. That saved me from my own over-ambition, but I will have no such excuse this time. I will have to do the ride and it would be nice if some of you could join me.

I thought I would be kind to you and myself and make this ride about 20% shorter and 20% less hilly than the '70' so it will start and finish in Hebden Bridge instead of Todmorden, and have a slightly easier start and a more interesting finish.

The route is 88 km (55 miles) in length with around 2,200 metres (7,200 ft) of climbing.

Map
Hebden Bridge - Queensbury - 88km.gif

Hebden Bridge - Queensbury - profile.gif

There will be a stop at Willow Tree cafe (at Newbank Garden Centre on Stainland Rd, Centre Vale, just before we get to Greetland) after 56 km (35 miles).

Post below if you would be interested in joining me.

********** ColinJ's forum ride tag list **********
RSVP:
@doughnut
********** (If you'd like your name added to future invites, let me know below) **********

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
What a tease

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

What a tease
Well, for those in a desperate hurry for more details ... this route is the same as the 70-miler between Slack and the A58. The start is different: Heptonstall Rd, Lee Wood Rd, Draper Ln vs the harder, longer start via Lumbutts, Bacup Rd, Sourhall, Cornholme, Shore Rd etc. The end section is nicer: Blue Ball Rd and undulating lanes to Mythromroyd, then the cycleway to Hebden Bridge vs a long stint on the A58 and A6033.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have added a map and elevation profile. You will see that it is quite a testing route but not the killer that the original '70' was.

These rides usually average 14 - 16 kph (9 - 10 mph) overall, including about an hour's worth of stops. Call that about 19 kph (12 mph) average speed when moving.

Unfortunately, I am unable to make this ride due to family commitments but I would highly recommend this route having done and hugely enjoyed the 70 miler last Saturday with @Starchivore that included all of this ride apart the revision to the end as outlined by @ColinJ above.

It's mainly on quiet roads and very scenic. Enhanced even more on a sunny bright day.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm engaged in other (flatter) cycling pursuits in north Yorkshire.

And I'd only get grumpy with all the climbing after about 40 miles, even though I'd know what to expect.

doughnut

Veteran
I'm 50-50 right now Colin. I'm teaching kids to sail on Friday night for sure, but I need to find out if I'm needed there on Saturday as well. If not then I'm good for this one. I should know for sure this weekend and I'll let you know.
Thanks for the mention in the first post - I got the email telling me about the thread.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Unfortunately, I am unable to make this ride due to family commitments but I would highly recommend this route having done and hugely enjoyed the 70 miler last Saturday with @Starchivore that included all of this ride apart the revision to the end as outlined by @ColinJ above.

It's mainly on quiet roads and very scenic. Enhanced even more on a sunny bright day.
Well, I can't promise a sunny bright day, but fingers crossed, eh? :laugh:

I'm engaged in other (flatter) cycling pursuits in north Yorkshire.

And I'd only get grumpy with all the climbing after about 40 miles, even though I'd know what to expect.
I would organise more flatter rides but living where I do, flat rides tend to involve busy roads or travelling to start from somewhere else!

I'm 50-50 right now Colin. I'm teaching kids to sail on Friday night for sure, but I need to find out if I'm needed there on Saturday as well. If not then I'm good for this one. I should know for sure this weekend and I'll let you know.
It would be good if you could make it. I will actually be riding over to Hebden Bridge from Todmorden and back afterwards to get a metric century in but I thought I would offer a shorter ride to those who weren't bothered about adding the extra distance. You could start from here or there.

Thanks for the mention in the first post - I got the email telling me about the thread.
Quite a few people who have been on my rides in the past don't really keep a close eye on the forum so this idea would be a good way of alerting them to my rides in the future but I'll leave it as an opt-in. I can't remember all the people that I have ridden with over the years and don't want to offend some by forgetting to include them!

doughnut

Veteran
Yes, a Tod start/finish would suit me - I know where the free car park is.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm, I actually have Saturday 6th off and HB (not ridden much around here before) isn't too bad by train from the Lakes-what sort start time are we looking at?
10:00?

One potential problem though ... I have had to miss big rides 2 weekends on the trot due to suffering from a bad cold and it is lingering on. I should be ok in a week's time, but I am still feeling rough at the moment so don't buy rail tickets just yet!

I'll report back in a couple of days time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

SORRY, @doughnut and @Maverick Goose - I am not shaking this cold off so I am going to have to postpone the ride until a free weekend later in the year. It wouldn't be fair to call the ride off at the last minute, or worse - to start it but have to turn round and go home because I was not up to it on the day.

I'll possibly try to do a much shorter solo ride at the weekend with less than half the climbing of the 55 mile route, but I may not even manage to do that.

I hope to be doing a very nice loop to Settle and back on May 20th 21st (SUNDAY). It is about 127 lumpy km and you would be welcome to join me for that, assuming that I have finally recovered enough to go ahead with it.

It is nickyboy's Llandudno ride on May 13th. I should be ok for that ride since it is a very easy route but I will be looking at bailout options just in case.

Last edited:

doughnut

Veteran
Sorry about that Colin, but I know what you are going through. I had this cold a few weeks ago and it must have taken 3-4 weeks to get it out of my system completely. Hopefully, I will see you on the Llandudno ride and by then I might know whether I am ok on 20th, though Universities are starting to finish for the summer so its likely that a couple of Saturdays around then will be toast for me while I go collecting luggage and finding out if University has been good or bad for my kids.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
SORRY, @doughnut and @Maverick Goose - I am not shaking this cold off so I am going to have to postpone the ride until a free weekend later in the year. It wouldn't be fair to call the ride off at the last minute, or worse - to start it but have to turn round and go home because I was not up to it on the day.

I'll possibly try to do a much shorter solo ride at the weekend with less than half the climbing of the 55 mile route, but I may not even manage to do that.

I hope to be doing a very nice loop to Settle and back on May 20th 21st (SUNDAY). It is about 127 lumpy km and you would be welcome to join me for that, assuming that I have finally recovered enough to go ahead with it.

It is nickyboy's Llandudno ride on May 13th. I should be ok for that ride since it is a very easy route but I will be looking at bailout options just in case.
Sorry to hear that Colin-GWS:hugs::okay:. I couldn't have come anyway , as my bike is out of action thanks to a combination of a narrow lane and a massive great Rambo wagon (just a split lip for me,luckily). At least I've still got a month before the Peak Epic.

Top Bottom