5G Huawei bid thoughts about it..

dutchguylivingintheuk

one of the sources: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-deal-help-build-Britains-new-5G-network.html

So the PM has approved this company to bid on building an 5g network. How do we think about this? Adding to this it is known Chinese secret services have close ties with Huawei, recent Huawei phones do not allow you to alter the bootloader anymore. (most other android phones do allow you to do this enabling to more technical user to install their own ''clean'' android, like linageos or cynogen etc.)
Alltough Apple has never offered this option and there are a number of other reasons why they could have done this is does come at a strange time.

I think this approval is a bit to soon, one day they warn us about the dangers or Russian, Chinese and other rogue state influences the other day they have no problems allowing a company closely-tied to such a state to at least make an attempt to deliver our future 5g network?

bruce1530

Veteran
It’s all about politics and business.... perhaps people are playing the “security paranoia” card to get commercial advantage.

There are basically only 3 big players in the 5G infrastructure market. Huawei, Nokia and Ericsson. Virtually all of the world’s emerging 5G infrastructure is based on equipment from these 3 vendors. Typically, a Huawei solution costs less.

The interesting - and worrying from the US perspective - is that we’re talking about 1 Chinese company and 2 Scandinavian.

Much of the western business and political world would prefer it if there were only 2.

There are no US players in this market. Actually, that’s not strictly true - Alcatel/Lucent was acquired by Nokia, and Lucent is US based. Nokia and Ericsson both have partnerships with US-based chip manufacturer Qualcomm, and Trump recently blocked the sale of Qualcomm to Singapore-based Broadcomm.

My prediction: Cisco will buy Ericsson.

bruce1530

Veteran
Read the report again, and try to see through the journalistic sensationalism. It doesn’t say that “huawei transfered data over a 5 year period”. It says that “data was transferred, and the infrastructure was huawei”. I could cite examples of similar incidents with equipment from other vendors.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
one of the sources: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-deal-help-build-Britains-new-5G-network.html

So the PM has approved this company to bid on building an 5g network. How do we think about this? Adding to this it is known Chinese secret services have close ties with Huawei, recent Huawei phones do not allow you to alter the bootloader anymore. (most other android phones do allow you to do this enabling to more technical user to install their own ''clean'' android, like linageos or cynogen etc.)
Alltough Apple has never offered this option and there are a number of other reasons why they could have done this is does come at a strange time.

I think this approval is a bit to soon, one day they warn us about the dangers or Russian, Chinese and other rogue state influences the other day they have no problems allowing a company closely-tied to such a state to at least make an attempt to deliver our future 5g network?
When we leave the EU we will need new frinds. :laugh::laugh:

Brains

Legendary Member
Personally I do not think any national network should be significantly owned or controlled by any foreign national.
(Define "foreign national" is a can of worms, Scottish ? Irish ?, EU?, NZ ?)
That is not just 5G phone networks, but also more basic things like rail, air, post, water, electricity, gas, education, food, etc.

When it all goes goes wrong, then that owner then has divided loyalties, to company or country.
The government of the country does not have divided loyalties, and will simply do whatever is needed to create the most disruption possible.
As a country would could be held over a barrel by some small country that say controlled our gas network

Milzy

Guru
I don’t care, I’m buying one because it rivals an iPhone at a fraction of the cost. Just political nonsense.

keithmac

Veteran
Remember a while back with Chinese built CCTV there were people reporting odd data transfer over their routers etc.

Can't remember what the outcome was though?.

Top Bottom