70 dual-carriageway, no lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I know that there are stretches of the M27 and A27 near me that routinely have either lights off (presumably for works or saving money) or no lights at all, so I can't see that it is illegal.

I think it's a good thing where cars and motorbikes are concerned - you've already got a huge big light or two on the front, plus a nice wide road, no need for extra lights!

Where cycling is concerned, can you take an alternative route?

IMHO, bicycle + nat. speed limit dual carriageway + no hard shoulder + at night + no illumination = :blink:. Or possibly :crazy:. (had to use a new smiley there!)

trampyjoe

As far as i know it is legal and actively encourage to save money (and carbon apparently, but lets not go there!). My question is how long before someone sues for damages caused by lights being switched off and sucessfully wins. Any money saved will soon dissappear as more and more claims come flooding in!

Round here they've switched off 2 out 3 lights.

As for the OP - can't you just take the lutterworth road?

Holdsworth

Über Member
Turning street lights off, good for the council's wallet and means less air pollution and (important for me) light pollution. Could be a bit hairy though for vulnerable road users with weak or non-existent lights but not an issue for cars and m'cycles with mobile street lights fitted both to the front and rear ^_^

As far as I know there are no plans for Cheshire East council to follow suit with dimming or switching off lights. I just wish that the lights around my estate would have some form of shield fitted to direct the light where it's needed. The current design just lets it flood in all directions!

2233723409_75f961ce60_s.jpg

Oh and BTW I noticed the other week that the new Alderley Edge bypass has no street lights whatsoever. Although it does have a nice looking cycle path running along on both sides which looks adequate if you can where you are going!

beastie

Guru
This 70 dual carriageway is on my commute, but none of the streetlights are on for my ride back home in the evening. Is it legal for the lights to be off?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=whe...id=ULbCZbDaZmqH3-Ee04QVNQ&cbp=12,6.5,,0,10.36

Have you ever been outside the M25?

Norm

As far as i know it is legal and actively encourage to save money (and carbon apparently, but lets not go there!). My question is how long before someone sues for damages caused by lights being switched off and sucessfully wins. Any money saved will soon dissappear as more and more claims come flooding in!
Sue for damages to what?

Top Bottom