700c Disc Brake Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigTone0777

Hi Guy's!

I have a Carrera Gryphon hybrid with disc brakes (maybe a mistake on the disc brakes but it was cheap!). On my way home from work one night last week I snapped 2 spokes in my rear wheel and upon further inspection it turned out it has already had 2 spokes replaced (bought the bike second hand). My LBS did a nice job of getting me back on the road but told me my wheels weren't very good and I can expect further problems with spokes snapping so I have been looking for a better quality wheel (on a budget) however I can't seem to find anything off the peg so to speak. Unless you guys are aware of anything off the shelf I was thinking of going for the below and having them built with cross 3 spoking. I am not exactly light at over 16 stone and need the bike to be reliable as it is used daily for my commute to work.

Shimano Deore M525 hubs (36 hole)http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-deore-m525-9-speed-disc-rear-hub/#more

and

Mavic Open Sport rims
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-open-sport-black-clincher-rim/

Any help and advice is most welcomed!

chugsy

I've wondered this myself - as my hybrid has been superseded by my new road(ish) bike for the summer it's not so much an issue at the moment. I imagine as Cyclo Cross bikes with discs become the norm we'll see more wheelsets with disc hubs as standard becoming available... does anyone know if wheels for 29ers are compatible? I suppose you'd have to go with different tyre options at that point - clearances permitting.

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

I read a post somewhere that 29ers are the same as 700 but I would like that confirmed. The other option is to do away with the discs and use road wheels as my frame has caliper mounts and just space the rear axle to fit the wider dropouts. So many options running around in my head ha ha ha

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
BT, yep 700c and 29er are the same diameter rims, the main difference would be in internal rim width, ie how wide a tyre a rim can take and frame clearances to run a 700x56 or 700x60 sort of tyre.

It would be easier if everywhere stuck to ERTO measurements, so it is described a XXX-XX where XXX = diameter in mm and XX = width in mm. 700c or 29er rims and tyres have the diameter 622 and 26" MTB stuff has 559, there are others but those are the main ones. So if you want to match tyre to rim you need to match the first 3 numbers, then you have to decide if your rim is the right width for the tyre, example:-

A Mavic A719 rim or a Rigidan Sputnik - both are 622-19 and both can accept tyres from 622-25 to about 622-60

If you want to get a decent wheelset without breaking the bank I'd ring Wheelcraft in Scotland and speak to Big Al. He'll recommend what will/won't work for your needs and has a great reputation as a wheelbuilder. I recently got a wheelset from him that cost a lot less than I could buy the parts for and that's before adding in the wheelbuild.

It's an old fashioned setup so, thought there's a website, it's really phone, snail mail and cheques.

GrasB

Veteran
I can confirm that they're the same diameter. However 29er rims are often wider. I run Halo Freedom Disc 29ers on my Boardman hybrid, the only issue is you can't feasibly go narrower than 700x28c. They're not cheap but those Halo wheels are bomb proof the result of a 30mph pot hole hit... did enough damage to my arm that my GP sent me in for an x-ray.

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

I think I'm leaning towards getting a decent pair of road wheels and spacing them as I'm planning on buying a road bike next summer so they could then be used for that, just swap my discs out for calipers (which I've got sat in the cupboard!)

aoj

I too had the same experience finding 700c disc wheels when I converted my Felt QX cyclecross/hybrid bike to disc.
I bought a set of handbuilt 700c wheels with 36 hole Sputnik rims and Shimano XT hubs for around £200 from SPA in Harrogate. It was easy to specify and order on their website.
Some people have had problems with SPA, this has not been my experience.

They arrived within a week and have been perfect with no problems over the 2000 miles done since I got them.

I run 37mm Conti Country Plus tyres and they have also been tested on the 30MPH pot hole and passed the test!

I didn't receive any injuries other than a rather sore backside!

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

I'm definately thinking of converting to calipers and using road wheels as I'm planning on buying a roadie next year when I'm fitter and can handle the more aero style so that way I'm garunteed not to suffer the same cheap wheel problems (and get plenty of use out of my investment lol). Just tried the calipers onto the mounts and they fit well, will just need to change the cables to suit.

GrasB

Veteran
I run 37mm Conti Country Plus tyres and they have also been tested on the 30MPH pot hole and passed the test!

I didn't receive any injuries other than a rather sore backside!
For any half decent rim 30mph isn't a problem when you're upright & you've got properly inflated tyres, the problems with wheels tend to start when leaning the bike. In my case I was at a high lean angle & in the middle of tightening my cornering line very quickly (this means that most of my weight was being supported by my outside foot & inside hand at the point of impact) & the RIM became part of the contact patch as the front wheel started climbing out of the pothole.

Top Bottom