755,000 unlicensed vehicles last year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Do you think people will drive their cars even more as the cost of doing so rises?
Do people have a choice? I work 20 miles away from where I live, there are no other jobs within the industry anywhere in the area, the next similar type of firm is 50 miles away, yes I could change my job, in fact I'd love to but he options open to a 57 year old are somewhat limited.

Drago

Legendary Member
In many cases, yes, they do. They can walk to school, or walk to the shops. The unnecessary journeys will be the first to go.

And then if things get really bad, the choice is taken away from them. To use your example, if fuel became so expensive that the drive to work costs more then your capacity to pay for it any more, then you would no longer do it.

D

Deleted member 26715

The unnecessary journeys will be the first to go.
sales reps on the road going on a jolly, HGV's clogging up the cities, buses never switching engines off, black cabs still on derv, there are many many things that could be done at National level, but this now has got nothing to do with VED, so I'll let you have the last word on it as you are prone to do & I'll not reply if it's not specifically about VED.

D

Deleted member 26715

How about putting ANPR cameras in all those empty boxes covered with bags that used to house speed cameras (and don't now for some reason). Stick a 3G comms system in them the same as smart electric meters to transmit the data.
I understand what you are saying but quite often the cars are being run without VED & they are not registered in their name/address which means if you don't physically catch them in the act there's not a lot you can do about it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I understand what you are saying but quite often the cars are being run without VED & they are not registered in their name/address which means if you don't physically catch them in the act there's not a lot you can do about it.

You have proof the vehicle was used on the public highway at a date / time. You know where. So just a case of tracking down where the vehicle in kept and collect it and crush it.

D

Deleted member 26715

You have proof the vehicle was used on the public highway at a date / time. You know where. So just a case of tracking down where the vehicle in kept and collect it and crush it.
I totally agree with you but how do you propose they do that if it's registered in somebody else's name & address? If they had campaigns at the roadside, pulled people over & didn't let them continue it would be far more effective. It's already an offence to not have the vehicle either VED'd or SORN, there is no inbetween, so they could should they wish send out summons or however they do it.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I reported 2 vehicles declared as SORN which were parked on my street. 1 was towed away within 2 days, and the other was taxed within a week. Which reminds me.... the cars VED expires at the end of this month.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not my experience only a couple of weeks ago, car purchased, no insurance, it allowed us to obtain VED on it & insurance was arranged after as we weren't going to drive it home without VED.

It is, I believe, common practice for car dealers to sell cars (both new and second-hand) with 7 days insurance included, hence, VED requirements are satisfied. Private sales are another matter of course.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
How about putting ANPR cameras in all those empty boxes covered with bags that used to house speed cameras (and don't now for some reason). Stick a 3G comms system in them the same as smart electric meters to transmit the data.

Here is the capital of the North, there are lots and lots of ANPR cameras around the city - it's impossible to use a major route in or out of the city without passing several and they crop up on a surprising amount of other routes. Trouble is they just record passing vehicles, there's no enforcement, just "intelligence" gathering - largely of law abiding drivers who've got their car registered to their home address.
Da Fedz also have ANPR cameras on a decent number of their cars (not just the traffic ones with Jamie Theakston in) and 3 or 4 times a year have a well publicised crack down operation in the expected parts of town where they'll take a dozen or so untaxed / uninsured / unMOT'd cars off the road in a morning.
The rest of the time? If you're unlucky enough to drive past a police car and trigger the camera expect to lose your car - the rest of the time it seems that justice catching up with you is about as likely as winning the lottery.
Don't forget that a typical fine for no insurance is about £300 (I think there is a set scale for this now) - which is considerably cheaper than actually buying insurance for virtually everyone who'll think it's OK to ride round without it.
So if you are unlucky enough to get caught, just wave goodbye to that car and simply buy another cheapie and don't bother with VED, insurance or an MOT. It's cheaper than doing it legitimately.

How does he know they're untaxed as they don't have discs? Is that info publicly online?

As an aside some years ago someone parked across my driveway, blocking my garage. Their tax disc was out of date so I phoned the DVLA (I think, or maybe it was local police) and reported it, which gave me great satisfaction. I didn't want to use my garage at the time, I was just annoyed that they hadn't had the courtesy to - say - leave a note under the wipers saying "if you need me to move this, phone this number ...". If they did that now, I wouldn't know how to check.

As @Phaeton says.

As regards blocking drives, if your drive has a dropped kerb, it's an offence to park across it and plod can and will turn out and tow the car if it's blocking you in (I've seen it done - although they may need a bit of persuasion to act nowadays)

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
It's an offence to obstruct the highway, so were the chap in his garage trying to access the highway the offence is complete.

However, were he in the road trying to access his garage, the offence is not made out.

Top Bottom