7yr old son wants a road bike :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yazzoo

Any recommendations? He's relatively tall for his age so I think we're looking at 24"

Ideally I don't want too many gears as this will be his first with gearing, 6 or so would be ideal in my mind rather than something with a triple at the front! Also I don't want him to have something like a viking with the gear changers in the middle of the bars so he has to take his hands off to change gear. At the same time I don't want to spend silly money on a bike he will relatively quickly grow out of, or may well decide road cycling is not for him after all!

Something like this maybe?
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/dawes-etape-24-limited-edition-junior-road-bike-id89128.html#info

or this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawes-Junio...&qid=1436786526&sr=1-4&keywords=24"+road+bike

open to opinions - help please!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Both the above are really heavy.

A second-hand Islabike, a Frog, a Moda Minor or the Felt F24 would probably be much lighter.

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

Both the above are really heavy.

A second-hand Islabike, a Frog, a Moda Minor or the Felt F24 would probably be much lighter.

I appreciate what you're saying but these second hand ones are like gold dust, and living miles from anywhere as I do the few that do come up are often collection only and the other end of the country, I will however still keep an eye out!

Think the Wiggle Verenti is going to be far too big, not just height but components wise

Will check eBay again now, if you happen to see anything please send it my way!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
[QUOTE 3793934, member: 45"]Keep an eye out for Decathlon child's road bikes on eBay.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I ended up with - for £40!!! OK, so its about 10 years old but it is perfect.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

Liverpool (5.5 hours), Preston (5.45 hours) and Bolton (5.15hrs) - and thats just one way! Thanks anyway though :smile:

Citius

Local Go-ride club could be an option. Many of them have Islabikes or similar as loan bikes for this purpose.

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

Will check but I don't think there are any that local to us, and the ones that are there all seem to be MTB/CX based

Top Bottom