90RPM?! Ya kiddin me aint ya?!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firm Button

Chuff, this cycling larks hard werk for a chubbie noob like me! I kept spinning up and up and up and thought 70RPM was fast! I recon I used to hover around the 50-60 rpm on me old MTB 20 years back.......:wacko:
I've got some stuff to learn!:blush:

Phew!

Steve :hello:

Nebulous

Guru
You'll get there.

I've been an occasional leisure cyclist over the years and tended only to use two gears - the highest one on the middle ring, and the highest one on the big ring.

Last year I took cycling up seriously and have done a lot of work on a gym bike. I read somewhere that 80 was a good cadence, but that you tended to slow down a bit as a you got older, so I settled on 76. I spent hours and hours grinding away at 76 rpm.

Move on about 8 months and I usually do my warm-up at 88, but as I put up the resistance I get faster. When I'm really pushing I'm generally above 100.

I've no idea if I'm as high as that on my road bike, but I very rarely use the top gear now.

One strange side effect is that I used to really stride out when I was walking, but I seem to take much smaller steps now although walking faster. My cycling seems to have adapted my legs to a different rhythym.

cycleruk

My normal cadence is 100 to 110, anything lower than 80 seems extremely slow.
holy molly that's fast! whenever i am out riding, i like to try and keep a high cadence but people keep saying "try going in a higher gear", yet some say "keep a high cadence" the question is who is right and why
unsure.gif
?

holy molly that's fast! whenever i am out riding, i like to try and keep a high cadence but people keep saying "try going in a higher gear", yet some say "keep a high cadence" the question is who is right and why
unsure.gif
?
Do what you are comfortable with and that's right. If your cadence is too low however and you are pushing a high gear you are probably straining your knees. Whereas, pedalling for no reason, in to low a gear can be a waste of your energy and you need to find the right balance for you.

cycleruk

Do what you are comfortable with and that's right. If your cadence is too low however and you are pushing a high gear you are probably straining your knees. Whereas, pedalling for no reason, in to low a gear can be a waste of your energy and you need to find the right balance for you.
thanks for your reply
cheers.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
unsure.gif
?

It's what fits you.

I ride fixed to work, so it's hard work catching road bikes as I find I run out of power/revs at over 110 - i.e. that's my optimal on fixed. On my road bikes it's about 90. Having ridden fixed for two years, my optimal has got better on the road bike - i.e. higher revs.

80-100 is usually the best to aim for (excludes up a steep climb)

BSRU

A Human Being
unsure.gif
?

As far as I can remember higher cadence improves the heart and lungs, when I wear my heart monitor I can see my normal cadence means I am cycling at 80 to 90% of my maximum heart rate, which is apparently very good.

As people have written, do what is comfortable for you.

fossyant

Cycling is all Heart and Lungs. The legs don't give out first - it's the CV system. Cycling is VERY CV Specific (OK and a bit of legs).

My 'much' younger brother is a very good 10k runner - less than 39 min. He's 14 years younger than me, but on the bike, he realises the sports are 'very specific' - I couldn't run his time though.

fossyant

As far as I can remember higher cadence improves the heart and lungs, when I wear my heart monitor I can see my normal cadence means I am cycling at 80 to 90% of my maximum heart rate, which is apparently very good.

As people have written, do what is comfortable for you.
When I TT'ed, I used to ride as everyone does, as fast as you could. I had a basic HR monitor, but I knew if I was easily hitting a high HR at a good pace, I'd do a good time. If struggling to get the HR up to 'my' level, then I'd not get there and get the time I wanted. Know your own body.

teletext45

i always had this impression that high speed= low gear but after getting a bike computer with cadence that has changed i can hit same kind of speeds on my middle chain ring at a much higher cadence.
My average is 90-100 feels really comfortable

andy

Top Bottom