A bit of a computery question re: Choosing Desktops...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Really interesting thread - thanks to all with the knowledge to contribute.

This is one of the most Hackneyed 'debates' on the web. I remember participating in my first about fifteen years ago and it was old hat then.

domtyler said:
This is one of the most Hackneyed 'debates' on the web. I remember participating in my first about fifteen years ago and it was old hat then.

Aren't you lucky - it is still interesting to a lesser mortal like me Dom.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I thought about this thread when I watched the gadget show tonight on TV. The challenge was to edit together a short film that had been shot on Hi Definition camcorders. In the blue corner was an entry level iBook running the included free iMovie and in the red corner was a much higher speced Sony Vario set up exactly as recommended to run some highly rated PC video editing software they had bought.

The iBook did it easily whereas the PC laptop could not even run HiDef video at even a basic 'frame rate', despite being configured exactly as recommended by the software manufacture and costing substantially more than the iBook.

I know some computer geek could have done a better job with a system he built for tuppence in an old sandwich box running Linux Turbo GT, but this was an illustration of what a lot of ordinary people have found: if you want to buy a computer to do a job without undue hassle, then the Mac simply works.

barq

Any of the experts have an opinion about the PC Rich is thinking of buying?

rich p said:
No, it's not online apparently.

The product code is 2412 and I saw it in the Hove store yesterday.

This is what my wife wrote down:
Packard Bell 2412
Intel core 2 duo
2.2 GHz
2MB cache
2048 MB memory
250GB hard drive

£499

Sounds a good amount of memory to me. I'd still be inclined to compare with other offers to get a sense of how good value this is. Why not buy a copy of Computer Shopper and trawl their reviews and adverts for comparable machines.

Carwash

Señor Member
SamNichols said:
You say potato, we say potato. Throughout the midsts of time, there are two inane arguments: PCs versus Macs and Jaffa Cake: Biscuit or Cake? Neither will ever be resolved, and one always feels a bit grotty after having participated in one.

Three actually - you forgot Emacs vs. Vi. :biggrin:

Edit: Have now caught up with the thread thus far. All I can say is: FFS, people! Can't you just accept that someone else might prefer an OS other than the one you prefer?! Talk about cognitive dissonance! There is no 'right' or 'wrong' here, just personal preference and the right tool for the job. Just use whatever you happen you like better. For goodness' sake... <rolls eyes>

ajevans

Carwash said:
Three actually - you forgot Emacs vs. Vi. :biggrin:

Edit: Have now caught up with the thread thus far. All I can say is: FFS, people! Can't you just accept that someone else might prefer an OS other than the one you prefer?! Talk about cognitive dissonance! There is no 'right' or 'wrong' here, just personal preference and the right tool for the job. Just use whatever you happen you like better. For goodness' sake... <rolls eyes>

Vim surely :biggrin:

Totally agree with the above. Especially annoying are those who berate other OS's despite having no understanding or real world experience of them.

jashburnham

Stick with a mac, unless you are serious about gaming. I bought a Dell PC (XPS 720) a few months back because Macs are rubbish for gaming, but God i hate using windows in comparison. Of course despite being new the Dell has started bluescreening already and when it arrived the sound card was not installed properly. On the other hand it has graphics that make PS3/360 games look rubbish.

domtyler

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Aren't you lucky - it is still interesting to a lesser mortal like me Dom.

Ooops sorry. :biggrin::blush: didn't mean to come across as such an arse there.
These things have just been done to death since the dawn of the web though, probably the first BB debate was Mac vs Wintel PC.

red_tom

domtyler said:
Ooops sorry. :blush::blush: didn't mean to come across as such an arse there.
These things have just been done to death since the dawn of the web though, probably the first BB debate was Mac vs Wintel PC.

More likely TRS-80 vs PET. :smile:

Top Bottom