A blow for Scottish independence

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
As a Shetlander myself I've always felt the prevailing feeling among islanders was they do not support Scottish independence. Indeed, there was no doubt in my mind about this feeling was extremely strong on the matter.

Very interestingly the council have voted to explore means by which Shaetlan could gain independence from Scotland and become a Crown dependency or possibly a British overseas territory of the UK.

Of course, this causes a massive dilemma for Ms Sturgeon. If matters should ever progressed that far how could she refuse independence for Shetland without the arguments she uses being turned against her own campaign for independence for Scotland. if her objections are good for the goose they must surely be good for the gander as well?

Furthermore, should this ever come to pass it means a massive proportion of "Scotland's" oil reserves and fishing waters would no longer belong to them, which will quite seriously torpedo SNP's proposed structure and policies for a fledgling independent economy, which were already regarded as at best rather shaky before any of this happened.

Interesting times ahead. I've spent time in Orkney, not a great deal ( it's a lovely place and if I'm honest it's better kept than Shetland with lower crime, but the Orcadians really are not so keen on outsiders so I never spent a massive amount of time there) and back then I would have judged the prevailing feeling is none too different to that on Shetand. Casting my prescient eye into the future, if my home islands did leave I reckon it's very likely Orkney would follow, further depriving Scotland of claim to massive fishery reserves.

I can't say that I've ever really been against Scottish independence in principle. My only real objection was the SMP having anything to do with it - but this really makes interesting politics, if politics could ever be construed as " interesting". I predicted things one day come to a head in this regard and I further predict that if any legal means by which Shetland could gain independence and become a Crown dependency or British overseas territory then they will most assuredly do so. Whichever way she tries to play it, Ms Sturgeon is well and truly stuffed.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Aren't the Islands more Norse than Scottish.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
One thing Shetlanders very much like in my experience. Being in the EU.
https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2016/06/24/shetland-votes-for-britain-to-stay-in-the-eu
Not something Englandshire will be able to offer them.
That may very well be true, but surely something that they have considered for themselves, im sure. The Shetlanders will have a vision of what they want. Im not entirely sure just voting to not be a part of Scotland with some oil is all it is.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The oil will be irrelevant in 20 years time. All vehicles will have to be zero emission and single-use plastics will have been banned.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
As a Shetlander myself I've always felt the prevailing feeling among islanders was they do not support Scottish independence. Indeed, there was no doubt in my mind about this feeling was extremely strong on the matter.

Very interestingly the council have voted to explore means by which Shaetlan could gain independence from Scotland and become a Crown dependency or possibly a British overseas territory of the UK.

Of course, this causes a massive dilemma for Ms Sturgeon. If matters should ever progressed that far how could she refuse independence for Shetland without the arguments she uses being turned against her own campaign for independence for Scotland. if her objections are good for the goose they must surely be good for the gander as well?

Furthermore, should this ever come to pass it means a massive proportion of "Scotland's" oil reserves and fishing waters would no longer belong to them, which will quite seriously torpedo SNP's proposed structure and policies for a fledgling independent economy, which were already regarded as at best rather shaky before any of this happened.

Interesting times ahead. I've spent time in Orkney, not a great deal ( it's a lovely place and if I'm honest it's better kept than Shetland with lower crime, but the Orcadians really are not so keen on outsiders so I never spent a massive amount of time there) and back then I would have judged the prevailing feeling is none too different to that on Shetand. Casting my prescient eye into the future, if my home islands did leave I reckon it's very likely Orkney would follow, further depriving Scotland of claim to massive fishery reserves.

I can't say that I've ever really been against Scottish independence in principle. My only real objection was the SMP having anything to do with it - but this really makes interesting politics, if politics could ever be construed as " interesting". I predicted things one day come to a head in this regard and I further predict that if any legal means by which Shetland could gain independence and become a Crown dependency or British overseas territory then they will most assuredly do so. Whichever way she tries to play it, Ms Sturgeon is well and truly stuffed.
That is if you believe Ms Sturgeon is truly behind the idea of Scottish independence
It seems to me (and I may be very wrong) she is simply trying to placate the "hard" wing of SNP
SNP itself looks to be quite diveded on the issue

Edwardoka

Serene Doge
And since I've had this conversation enough times that I can predict where it's going:
Yes, if the Shetland Islands subsequently wanted to become independent of Scotland I would support their right to do so.
Plus ça change, plus les gens deviennent fastidieusement prévisibles.

Oh the irony for Kranky. Fan-dabi-dozi.
Get a new joke.

The sea boundaries have already been fiddled with to remove as much of the North Sea from Scottish control as possible.
There appears to be a proposal to further gerrymander this and move the English sector further west and then separate Orkney and Shetland from Scotland by another boundary to cause as much trouble for the Scottish economy as possible. This cuts off a lot of the oil fields but in the medium to long term is irrelevant as oil becomes less important and renewable energy from existing wind and tidal sources is expanded.
The push by unionist politicians to create a demand for independence for Orkney and Shetland is nothing to do with the welfare of those islands but more to do with causing as much damage to the Scottish economy as possible.
In any case it would be interesting to see what proportion of the population actually belongs there and how many are incomers with political ties elsewhere.
If they want independence for themselves I would not be against it but it is more likely to be imposed on them for political purposes by outsiders with no interest in their welfare but to cause political damage.

Top Bottom