A blow for Scottish independence

Edwardoka

Serene Doge
You couldnae burst a wet paper bag, ya fud.
Square go at 4, behind the toilets. Bring yer maw.

See what you've started Gooner?
I had a comeback but thought better of it. I must be too close to East Ren. Cursed gentrification.
Reminded of a guy I used to work with who moved to London, and when I was down there I met up with him and he said to the rest of the group that when he was up here he lived in a rough area... Troon. :laugh:

Let's see... uhm... mon then, shut yer hole or ah'll shut it fur ye, clawbaws.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
In addition to the standard types of polling questions we use, as part of our extensive election research for this publication, we asked more than 2,000 Scots to tell us, in their own words, their most important election issue and why.

Issues that relate to Scotland’s recovery from the toll of the pandemic were those at the forefront of people’s minds.

Although the constitutional question remains important, Scotland’s economy and jobs were more than twice as likely as independence to be mentioned by respondents as top election issues.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...cs/3028057/scottish-election-issues-pandemic/
Revealing as to how voter's minds work in that more voters think an SNP majority is not a mandate for Indyref 2 than those who think it does. The raison d'etre of both SNP and Alba is Scottish independence.

Nonetheless asking an anti referendum candidate who stands for the party governing in Westminster how, were an SNP or SNP/Alba overall majority to occur, they would react to it as a mandate is a reasonable line of questioning. The more so if Westminster, as seems to be the case, intends to ignore/deny that mandate.

OldShep

The guy in the clip didn't, despite the pointless pressing by a poor interviewer, and their manifesto has most other issues above independence.
Do you get a lot of correspondence from Scot Tories in Hull? Wish I’d passed mine on to you but I’ve burnt the lot. Every damned one of them harping on about Independence it’s an election not a referendum FGS. Not one of them mentioning the road for recovery in Scotland will be to pay for prescription, take away bus passes and tax those earning less than 40K so the rich can have further tax cuts.

Do you get a lot of correspondence from Scot Tories in Hull? Wish I’d passed mine on to you but I’ve burnt the lot. Every damned one of them harping on about Independence it’s an election not a referendum FGS. Not one of them mentioning the road for recovery in Scotland will be to pay for prescription, take away bus passes and tax those earning less than 40K so the rich can have further tax cuts.
It's not that long ago that the Scots were the largest ethnic minority in Hull. ^_^

Edwardoka

Serene Doge
Actually, it doesn't.

Preventing an independence referendum is the primary focus of their manifesto.

View attachment 584885
It's a bold statement having a football referee, one of the most reviled class of people in Scotland, lead the Tory charge.
I think he's only sticking his neck out this far because if the Tories collapse next month he'll still have his seat in WM for another 4 years.
Like Ruth, now completely unaccountable to the electorate.

Actually, it doesn't.

Preventing an independence referendum is the primary focus of their manifesto.

View attachment 584885
Only, when you read their manifesto below where that very picture is from, and that picture is effectively saying that Independence shouldn't be the focus, building the Country back up should be, it explicitly lists other things as the primary focus. :okay:

Our number one priority The economic impact of the coronavirus restrictions is going to make unemployment a key challenge in coming months, despite the support provided through UK Government job support schemes. The Scottish Conservatives believe that every single person should have the right to work, to earn a living for themselves and their family. No one should want to work but be unable to get a job. We need to be focused now on preventing unemployment and helping those who become unemployed to find work. That is why the Scottish Conservatives believe that achieving full employment should be the number one priority for the next Scottish Parliament. We would deliver a Scottish economic recovery focused on creating good jobs in every part of our country.

https://www.scottishconservatives.c...t/uploads/2021/04/Digital-Manifesto-Final.pdf

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Only, when you read their manifesto below where that very picture is from, and that picture is effectively saying that Independence shouldn't be the focus, building the Country back up should be, it explicitly lists other things as the primary focus. :okay:

Our number one priority The economic impact of the coronavirus restrictions is going to make unemployment a key challenge in coming months, despite the support provided through UK Government job support schemes. The Scottish Conservatives believe that every single person should have the right to work, to earn a living for themselves and their family. No one should want to work but be unable to get a job. We need to be focused now on preventing unemployment and helping those who become unemployed to find work. That is why the Scottish Conservatives believe that achieving full employment should be the number one priority for the next Scottish Parliament. We would deliver a Scottish economic recovery focused on creating good jobs in every part of our country.

https://www.scottishconservatives.c...t/uploads/2021/04/Digital-Manifesto-Final.pdf

That's from Page 7. Try reading above where that picture features.

You've skipped past the previous two pages of text, including the introduction, where the independence referendum is the focus. I say focus because they mention it five times in the introduction and 12 times on the following page. All before they finally get to page 7 where it comes up another two times just before the quote you supplied. 👍

That's from Page 7. Try reading above where that picture features.

You've skipped past the previous two pages of text, including the introduction, where the independence referendum is the focus. I say focus because they mention it five times in the introduction and 12 times on the following page. All before they finally get to page 7 where it comes up another two times just before the quote you supplied. 👍
Nope. You applied a selective interpretation of the picture, that doesn't show what you try to claim, it really does show the exact opposite, as it is saying that the focus should be on rebuilding the Country rather than the indyref, and the text I quoted explicitly states confirmation of that.

Sturgeon and her supporters want the focus to be the referendum, as a discussion on any of the other aspects of Government would show that she has failed on each one.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Nope. You applied a selective interpretation of the picture, that doesn't show what you try to claim, it really does show the exact opposite, as it is saying that the focus should be on rebuilding the Country rather than the indyref, and the text I quoted explicitly states confirmation of that.

Sturgeon and her supporters want the focus to be the referendum, as a discussion on any of the other aspects of Government would show that she has failed on each one.
Are you just ignoring the printed words in that Tory manifesto I highlighted to you? Those that came before your quotation?
They give precedence to denying the referendum before describing plans for a rebuild.

Open your eyes!

Here's another example:

Top Bottom