a british tdf team…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
This is a joke, isn't it? No national team will ever beat a multinational team. It's like saying 11 homespun lads from the Wirral in Tranmere kits will beat Liverpool. Training nine Brits to rank among the best in the world might be feasible, but they're not going to be riding the TdF for the greater glory of Britain (unles the rules on trade teams get changed).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I can't quite see how it would work. Who's to say Wiggins, Cav etc would want to join if they're offered megabucks at a pro team. Would a Brit team get into the TdF or any other races? Maybe a junior team in lesser events would work but is that what's being proposed?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Reading what Brailsford says, he's talking about the "core" of the team being British - not necessarily exclusively British in terms of riders. It's a bit vague about where the riders will come from, but again, as I remember, he's saying it's not necessarily about poaching Cavendish etc from where they're riding now (unless they want to come to TeamGB).

Cycling Weekly's analyisis here.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Hmmmm, so according to Cycling Weekly, British Cycling would be the moral owner of the team, a private company the actual owner and foreign riders would be allowed in depending on the sponsors. It sounds a wee bit messy!

Tetedelacourse

What would be its purpose? I honestly can't think of a reasonable reason(!) for doing this.

Sounds to me like:

1. I'm a good cycling coach.
2. I work for British Cycling
3. I've achieved pretty much everything I can.
4. Britishness is more important to me than anything else professionally (WHY???)
5. I don't think I'd cut it in the cut-throat pro tour.
6. I know....

yello

A bold, brave plan. I hope it succeeds!

I can't personally see any strength as yet, even for a core, but maybe there are talented British riders just waiting to take the step up to pro leagues.

Keith Oates

Janner
It seems to have happened in the track team/riders who were brought through and if he gets out and about and find young riders who can be nurtured through, why not. Having said that it will take a lot of work and luck as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

Keith Oates said:
It seems to have happened in the track team/riders who were brought through and if he gets out and about and find young riders who can be nurtured through, why not. Having said that it will take a lot of work and luck as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and money

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I can't see the point in knocking this... it seems like a fabulous, romantic plan. This is what sport should be about, not the cash bottom line all the time. Let's go for it!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I can hear the theme tune to Chariots of Fire. I'm not knocking it. I just think it's a non-starter. Within 18 months, a British team will be challenging for the TdF, the Spring Classics, the Tour of California... ? Perhaps Beagle the Mars lander can be taught to ride a bike.

Sorry, but I think the story sounds like the musings of a late night in the pub.

OK, perhaps I am knocking it.

yello

Describing it as "romantic" has hints of knocking it to me! (No, that's not a tacky pun). Kind of suggests, to me, that it won't happen. But that's perhaps the cynic in me.

Reading CW's analysis of it has made me rethink though. I now don't think it's that pie-in-the-sky. I didn't realise so many British riders were already in pro teams... there's certainly enough (if they can be tempted to join) to form the nucleus of a half way decent GB team.

Top Bottom