A considerate driver?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this lady driver considerate? Was I wrong to ask he to stop her overtake maneuver? Did she leave me enough of a gap after the lights? Does she actually understand what considerate means?

(Uses my new rear view MD80 camera. I need to find a place to put it that avoids my bag!)

rh100

get some panniers - saves your back

or fit the cam to the pannier rack - not as if you can aim it very well anyway so static might be better

do you have reversing beepers aswell, the same as the trucks that have those rear cameras? xx(

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
On the point of being on your metaphorical bike bumper the concern I would have would not be the speed and distance as such but the conditions. It's always hard to tell in these vids but it wasn't totally dry was it? Looked like the road was saturated. Need a much bigger gap if so.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

marinyork said:
On the point of being on your metaphorical bike bumper the concern I would have would not be the speed and distance as such but the conditions. It's always hard to tell in these vids but it wasn't totally dry was it? Looked like the road was saturated. Need a much bigger gap if so.

You are correct, and I forgot to mention that. Yes it was very damp this morning and the roads were wet. All the more reason to be 'extra considerate'!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Is this lady driver considerate? Was I wrong to ask he to stop her overtake maneuver? Did she leave me enough of a gap after the lights? Does she actually understand what considerate means?

(Uses my new rear view MD80 camera. I need to find a place to put it that avoids my bag!)

Ahh, now I think this clip suffers in translation, you ask "is she considerate ?"

However, she only ever claimed to be "courteous"...which was clearly a correct statement....as she very politely tried to kill you.:smile:

I'm always amazed at how polite you are to drivers in these situations Mag, she was a complete numpty.

PS... originally I thought she was the black Audi in the other lane and could not see the problem...Glad I watched on!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Can't figure out what you Northern Neds are saying to each other... can you translate into text please? :smile::biggrin:;)

There was enough room for her to move out to the other lane to overtake... but then she'd have cut in too close in front of you. Can't see why she needed to rush past in the first place though... other than you being merely on a bike, obviously. :smile:

Silly woman.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Can't figure out what you Northern Neds are saying to each other... can you translate into text please? :smile::biggrin:;)

There was enough room for her to move out to the other lane to overtake... but then she'd have cut in too close in front of you. Can't see why she needed to rush past in the first place though... other than you being merely on a bike, obviously. :smile:

Silly woman.

Aye there was space beside her, but what the video doesn't quite show is that she was not changing lane, but wanting to cut in front of me. As you suggest there wasn't room for that. Until I spotted her antics I was catching the van in the outside lane (although not undertaking!).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Get the cam mounted in a better place somehow, it'd be good to see it in a non-space shuttle kind of set up :smile:.

irc

magnatom said:

Nope.

Looks like Crow Rd heading south to the tunnel? I don't often ride that road but I know it well. It's not wide enough for her to overtake unless she goes well into the outside lane. I'd maybe ride further to the right. Either dead centre of the lane or a touch further right.

In busy traffic all she's doing is getting to the queue at the next lights sooner anyway.

Interesting clip. I'm possibly going to be starting a job in Cardonald which would mean commutes south along Crow Road in the evening rush hour.

Is that place you cut off the entrance to the Clyde Cycle Tunnel?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
She had absolutely no clue why you were taking that position on the road, why she shouldn't overtake or why you were on a bike at all in that weather and certainly no idea why you weren't happy. She's probably not a bike-hating speed merchant either. She's just absolutely clueless and unfortunately death by clueless driving isn't on the books.

rh100

rh100 said:
or fit the cam to the pannier rack - not as if you can aim it very well anyway so static might be better

that wasn't a dig by the way :smile: just that you can't see what it's pointing at

OP
OP
M

magnatom

irc said:
Is that place you cut off the entrance to the Clyde Cycle Tunnel?

It is the route you need to take to avoid the main tunnel, but there is a wee bit further to go to get to the cycle entrance. The entrance is just off Dumbarton Road. PM me if you need help with a route.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bollo said:
She had absolutely no clue why you were taking that position on the road, why she shouldn't overtake or why you were on a bike at all in that weather and certainly no idea why you weren't happy. She's probably not a bike-hating speed merchant either. She's just absolutely clueless and unfortunately death by clueless driving isn't on the books.

Indeed. I'm sure she does think she is considerate. She is just completely ignorant.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

rh100 said:
that wasn't a dig by the way :smile: just that you can't see what it's pointing at

No dig taken!

At the moment I'm happy with the rucksack, but as my commute will be doubling soon, I might need to rethink my strategy.

In the short term I will be looking at somewhere on the bike. I just need to be careful as it isn't waterproof yet (there is something you can buy.....)

Top Bottom