A decent commuting light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it's going to be my first winter on the bike and I'm after a bit of advice on a decent front light. Most of my commute is on well lit A roads but have a 1 1/2 mile unlit section so need a good all round light.

Had my eye on a set of Ayups for a while (good reviews from a number of people on the forum), but missus anylaw is now expecting our first nipper and cost is an issue - "sorry love can't get that ...... I've just spent £150 on a set of lights" probably won't wash.

Any recommendations at about £50-70 anybody?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=

seems a good buy and IRC my neighbour had this light before he got his Dinottes and it was very bright, enough for what you need !

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
A Fenix P3D, L2D, or 2 of the Tescos equivalent. My 2 x P3Ds were amongst the very brightest lights I saw on the Dunwich Dynamo this year. I was quite happy at 30mph with the visibility from those lights. Chris N has a similar setup, and with the both of us riding along together it was as though we were sitting in a car.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I ordered this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13665

It's super powerful, but long. You'll need a charger, batteries and a mount (Lockblocks or Fenix brand mount - I'm also using a velcro /plastic thingie used by people who like shooting things). Should still come in at less than 60 quid though.

The two settings should be good for country lanes/off road and roads with street lighting.

OP
OP
andylaw79

andylaw79

Über Member
BentMikey said:
A Fenix P3D, L2D, or 2 of the Tescos equivalent. My 2 x P3Ds were amongst the very brightest lights I saw on the Dunwich Dynamo this year. I was quite happy at 30mph with the visibility from those lights. Chris N has a similar setup, and with the both of us riding along together it was as though we were sitting in a car.

Those Fenix look pretty good and use the same Cree LED's as the ayup's. How would you mount them on a bar?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's one possible solution, but I use a Twofish flashlight lockblock. I have three on the 'bent - one for the helmet camera, and two for the Fenix P3D lights.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nope, but they are BRIGHT, extremely so. I have the P3D, by the way, with 2 x CR123As. That battery is potentially a bit of a disadvantage as it's somewhat expensive and not very environmentally friendly. That's why I suggested the L2D.

OP
OP
andylaw79

andylaw79

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Nope, but they are BRIGHT, extremely so. I have the P3D, by the way, with 2 x CR123As. That battery is potentially a bit of a disadvantage as it's somewhat expensive and not very environmentally friendly. That's why I suggested the L2D.

Thanks Mikey, I think that's my mind made up, just one final thing did you order direct from the Fenix UK website?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well if you are still looking - Edinburgh Bike Co-op have the Cateye EL510 1 watt LEDs on offer for £14.99 - I've just ordered two to supplement my BLT Halogen lights - after my old cateye self destructed on the tarmac at 30 mph this morning...grrr.....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
andylaw79 said:
Thanks Mikey, I think that's my mind made up, just one final thing did you order direct from the Fenix UK website?

I got one from Fenix, the other from eBay. As I said, apparently Tescos do a version that's similar to the L2D, so runs on AA batteries, and is like a tenner. I've only ever used the P3D though.

I have 2 x Cateye EL530, which are much brighter than the Cateye 510/500s, and yet still there's no comparison to the Fenix lights.

fossyant said:
Well if you are still looking - Edinburgh Bike Co-op have the Cateye EL510 1 watt LEDs on offer for £14.99 - I've just ordered two to supplement my BLT Halogen lights - after my old cateye self destructed on the tarmac at 30 mph this morning...grrr.....
I've got a 510 also as a secondary, whilst I think its a good light, it isn't near good enough for a dark country lane.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HLaB said:
I've got a 510 also as a secondary, whilst I think its a good light, it isn't near good enough for a dark country lane.

Even the EL530 isn't really bright enough for this, and they are a lot brighter than 510s!! The Fenix's (and Ayups apparently) are easily bright enough.

Top Bottom