A few 'newby' questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stueyuk

Hi all,

I am after some advice please if possible? I have not cycled for about 20 years (since I was about 9 or 10). But I am getting more and more frustrated with my drive into and out of work. So I am looking at getting a bike.

Now the 1st question is (before I commit to buying a bike) can I tell what my commute will be like on a bike? I have used google maps and it shows driving / walking / public transport routes, but not for cycles. Now I dont take any motorways or anything so should be able to to cycle it.

2) what sort of bike should I get - it will then hopefully be for commuting really, and its about 12 miles each way - Willenhall - Lichfield.

3) I am about 5 foot 6" so what size bike would I need?

Sorry to ask such dumb questions but the answers will form the basis of whether I get a cycle or not.

Many thanks
Stuart

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Now the 1st question is (before I commit to buying a bike) can I tell what my commute will be like on a bike? I have used google maps and it shows driving / walking / public transport routes, but not for cycles. Now I dont take any motorways or anything so should be able to to cycle it.

Plan a route and drive along it if you can. There are plenty of places that have route suggestions from mapping facilities such as http://cyclestreets.co.uk to local knowledge. If you want to know where bridleways or NCN is use Ordnance Survey, opencyclemap.org, sustrans or your local council's cycle maps.

Most of that's just daunting as you haven't done it in a long time. Plan out a route, cycle it outside of work hours to see how you get on and relax you a bit. If you don't like the route, change it. Whatever you do, you'll learn loads and improve.

2) what sort of bike should I get - it will then hopefully be for commuting really, and its about 12 miles each way - Willenhall - Lichfield.

The fastest and lightest bike possible that suits your needs.

3) I am about 5 foot 6" so what size bike would I need?

You need to be sized up properly. Your height would suggest you'dbe at at 50/51/53cm end of things though.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Depending on the traffic levels you might expect, it can be useful to cover the planned route on a quiet weekend or evening after work.

No school traffic at the moment, and once the post work rush has died down the streets will be a lot more forgiving to someone trying to find their way. You'll soon know whether you need to take a drink with you; what to wear; how long it'll take, etc. Once you've got the route down, doing it in rush hour just becomes a slightly more focussed version of the ride.

Enjoy it out there .

Andy.

Also, try and find the roads that have the lightest traffic and the slowest average motorvehicle speeds on your route to\from work. This may be hard to find out as drivers tend to follow the opposite kind of road...

I'm a 5ft 6in bloke doing about 20 miles commute per day. Terrain is country lanes and town roads.

Until recently I've been riding a Claud Butler Explorer 400 (hybrid with front suspension) with a 20inch (just over 50cm) frame. My reasoning was that I wanted a comfortable ride - but something I could fit pannier racks to so I wasn't carrying a really heavy rucksack.

For me the 20 inch was probably a bit big and I should have gone for the 18inch. If I was buying now, and I am, I would probably have steered clear of front suspension as it's a killer on climbs!

I'm going for a Boardman Hybrid Pro as I can get one through the works "Cycle 2 Work" scheme for about 60% of the retail price.

So that's 2 and 3. For 1) You can ride any road you want. I would advise reading up on some of the topics here about road craft/positioning as they'll stop you making errors at junctions etc... If you position yourself correctly then you'll avoid near misses and your confidence will grow.

abo

For me the 20 inch was probably a bit big and I should have gone for the 18inch. If I was buying now, and I am, I would probably have steered clear of front suspension as it's a killer on climbs!

+1, I do a mix of on and off road so prefer to keep the suspension, but doing steep climbs on the road is a pain as a result.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Depending on the traffic levels you might expect, it can be useful to cover the planned route on a quiet weekend or evening after work.

No school traffic at the moment, and once the post work rush has died down the streets will be a lot more forgiving to someone trying to find their way. You'll soon know whether you need to take a drink with you; what to wear; how long it'll take, etc. Once you've got the route down, doing it in rush hour just becomes a slightly more focussed version of the ride.

Enjoy it out there .

Andy.

Good advice here.

Flyer5

+1, I do a mix of on and off road so prefer to keep the suspension, but doing steep climbs on the road is a pain as a result.

I guess suspension must be different on different bikes, I've got a cube curve and when I hit a steep hill I just reach down and lock the suspenion then unlock it at the top, but to be honest it's rare I need to do that. I've only had it 3 weeks and I wouldn't be without the front suspension, I've ridden it both ways and with the suspension unlocked it's much more comfortable on the hands and arms.

F5

abo

I guess suspension must be different on different bikes, I've got a cube curve and when I hit a steep hill I just reach down and lock the suspenion then unlock it at the top, but to be honest it's rare I need to do that. I've only had it 3 weeks and I wouldn't be without the front suspension, I've ridden it both ways and with the suspension unlocked it's much more comfortable on the hands and arms.

F5

I don't have a LO on mine so can't do that. One of the reasons why I was asking his budget I guess, but TBH if I wasn't doing any off road I'd be going for a fast hybrid

pepecat

I guess as you're fed up of driving to work, you must know what the route is like!! Or are you planning on a different route? Drive it as well and see how hilly it is and how much traffic there is.

If it's ONLY for commuting up around Willenhall / Lichfield, possibly a hybrid / city bike would be better, but if you think you might want to use it for leisure as well, or the cycling bug really bites, then a road bike might be the one you want. Budget will also dictate the type of thing you get.

You're the same height as me (near enough) and I ride a 50 cm trek. I'm guessing from your username that you're a bloke (?) - you could try some women's bikes out as well - they're not all pink and fluffy and the reach from saddle to handlebars might fit you better. Mine's a women's bike (cos I am female) - i tried some mens ones but the reach was a little too long. It depends on how long your body/arms are. Get thee to a (proper) cycle shop and get properly fitted!
(I went to Two Wheels Cycles in Stourbridge for my bike and they were pretty good).

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Difficult to give advice really, as there are so many choices these days, and depends more on personal preference as opposed to design. You could do that journey on anything from a full sus downhill MTB to a top-end carbon road bike, including detours via a folder, shopper, recumbent and fixie/ss fetishes.

Suggest that you pop into Decathlon, near you, to see what is available at a good price. If you find an interest, you can upgrade to a good bike of the sort that you want later on.

Top Bottom